Subject: CVE-2024-26670: arm64: entry: fix ARM64_WORKAROUND_SPECULATIVE_UNPRIV_LOAD

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

arm64: entry: fix ARM64_WORKAROUND_SPECULATIVE_UNPRIV_LOAD

Currently the ARM64_WORKAROUND_SPECULATIVE_UNPRIV_LOAD workaround isn't
quite right, as it is supposed to be applied after the last explicit
memory access, but is immediately followed by an LDR.

The ARM64_WORKAROUND_SPECULATIVE_UNPRIV_LOAD workaround is used to
handle Cortex-A520 erratum 2966298 and Cortex-A510 erratum 3117295,
which are described in:

* https://developer.arm.com/documentation/SDEN2444153/0600/?lang=en
* https://developer.arm.com/documentation/SDEN1873361/1600/?lang=en

In both cases the workaround is described as:

| If pagetable isolation is disabled, the context switch logic in the
| kernel can be updated to execute the following sequence on affected
| cores before exiting to EL0, and after all explicit memory accesses:
|
| 1. A non-shareable TLBI to any context and/or address, including
|    unused contexts or addresses, such as a `TLBI VALE1 Xzr`.
|
| 2. A DSB NSH to guarantee completion of the TLBI.

The important part being that the TLBI+DSB must be placed "after all
explicit memory accesses".

Unfortunately, as-implemented, the TLBI+DSB is immediately followed by
an LDR, as we have:

| alternative_if ARM64_WORKAROUND_SPECULATIVE_UNPRIV_LOAD
| 	tlbi	vale1, xzr
| 	dsb	nsh
| alternative_else_nop_endif
| alternative_if_not ARM64_UNMAP_KERNEL_AT_EL0
| 	ldr	lr, [sp, #S_LR]
| 	add	sp, sp, #PT_REGS_SIZE		// restore sp
| 	eret
| alternative_else_nop_endif
|
| [ ... KPTI exception return path ... ]

This patch fixes this by reworking the logic to place the TLBI+DSB
immediately before the ERET, after all explicit memory accesses.

The ERET is currently in a separate alternative block, and alternatives
cannot be nested. To account for this, the alternative block for
ARM64_UNMAP_KERNEL_AT_EL0 is replaced with a single alternative branch
to skip the KPTI logic, with the new shape of the logic being:

| alternative_insn "b .L_skip_tramp_exit_\@", nop, ARM64_UNMAP_KERNEL_AT_EL0
| 	[ ... KPTI exception return path ... ]
| .L_skip_tramp_exit_\@:
|
| 	ldr	lr, [sp, #S_LR]
| 	add	sp, sp, #PT_REGS_SIZE		// restore sp
|
| alternative_if ARM64_WORKAROUND_SPECULATIVE_UNPRIV_LOAD
| 	tlbi	vale1, xzr
| 	dsb	nsh
| alternative_else_nop_endif
| 	eret

The new structure means that the workaround is only applied when KPTI is
not in use; this is fine as noted in the documented implications of the
erratum:

| Pagetable isolation between EL0 and higher level ELs prevents the
| issue from occurring.

... and as per the workaround description quoted above, the workaround
is only necessary "If pagetable isolation is disabled".

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-26670 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.6 with commit 471470bc7052 and fixed in 6.6.15 with commit 58eb5c07f417
	Issue introduced in 6.6 with commit 471470bc7052 and fixed in 6.7.3 with commit baa0aaac1643
	Issue introduced in 6.6 with commit 471470bc7052 and fixed in 6.8 with commit 832dd634bd1b
	Issue introduced in 6.1.57 with commit 6e3ae2927b43
	Issue introduced in 6.5.7 with commit 32b0a4ffcaea

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-26670
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	arch/arm64/kernel/entry.S

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/58eb5c07f41704464b9acc09ab0707b6769db6c0
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/baa0aaac16432019651e0d60c41cd34a0c3c3477
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/832dd634bd1b4e3bbe9f10b9c9ba5db6f6f2b97f