Subject: CVE-2024-26644: btrfs: don't abort filesystem when attempting to snapshot deleted subvolume

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

btrfs: don't abort filesystem when attempting to snapshot deleted subvolume

If the source file descriptor to the snapshot ioctl refers to a deleted
subvolume, we get the following abort:

  BTRFS: Transaction aborted (error -2)
  WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 833 at fs/btrfs/transaction.c:1875 create_pending_snapshot+0x1040/0x1190 [btrfs]
  Modules linked in: pata_acpi btrfs ata_piix libata scsi_mod virtio_net blake2b_generic xor net_failover virtio_rng failover scsi_common rng_core raid6_pq libcrc32c
  CPU: 0 PID: 833 Comm: t_snapshot_dele Not tainted 6.7.0-rc6 #2
  Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996), BIOS 1.16.3-1.fc39 04/01/2014
  RIP: 0010:create_pending_snapshot+0x1040/0x1190 [btrfs]
  RSP: 0018:ffffa09c01337af8 EFLAGS: 00010282
  RAX: 0000000000000000 RBX: ffff9982053e7c78 RCX: 0000000000000027
  RDX: ffff99827dc20848 RSI: 0000000000000001 RDI: ffff99827dc20840
  RBP: ffffa09c01337c00 R08: 0000000000000000 R09: ffffa09c01337998
  R10: 0000000000000003 R11: ffffffffb96da248 R12: fffffffffffffffe
  R13: ffff99820535bb28 R14: ffff99820b7bd000 R15: ffff99820381ea80
  FS:  00007fe20aadabc0(0000) GS:ffff99827dc00000(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
  CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
  CR2: 0000559a120b502f CR3: 00000000055b6000 CR4: 00000000000006f0
  Call Trace:
   <TASK>
   ? create_pending_snapshot+0x1040/0x1190 [btrfs]
   ? __warn+0x81/0x130
   ? create_pending_snapshot+0x1040/0x1190 [btrfs]
   ? report_bug+0x171/0x1a0
   ? handle_bug+0x3a/0x70
   ? exc_invalid_op+0x17/0x70
   ? asm_exc_invalid_op+0x1a/0x20
   ? create_pending_snapshot+0x1040/0x1190 [btrfs]
   ? create_pending_snapshot+0x1040/0x1190 [btrfs]
   create_pending_snapshots+0x92/0xc0 [btrfs]
   btrfs_commit_transaction+0x66b/0xf40 [btrfs]
   btrfs_mksubvol+0x301/0x4d0 [btrfs]
   btrfs_mksnapshot+0x80/0xb0 [btrfs]
   __btrfs_ioctl_snap_create+0x1c2/0x1d0 [btrfs]
   btrfs_ioctl_snap_create_v2+0xc4/0x150 [btrfs]
   btrfs_ioctl+0x8a6/0x2650 [btrfs]
   ? kmem_cache_free+0x22/0x340
   ? do_sys_openat2+0x97/0xe0
   __x64_sys_ioctl+0x97/0xd0
   do_syscall_64+0x46/0xf0
   entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x6e/0x76
  RIP: 0033:0x7fe20abe83af
  RSP: 002b:00007ffe6eff1360 EFLAGS: 00000246 ORIG_RAX: 0000000000000010
  RAX: ffffffffffffffda RBX: 0000000000000004 RCX: 00007fe20abe83af
  RDX: 00007ffe6eff23c0 RSI: 0000000050009417 RDI: 0000000000000003
  RBP: 0000000000000003 R08: 0000000000000000 R09: 00007fe20ad16cd0
  R10: 0000000000000000 R11: 0000000000000246 R12: 0000000000000000
  R13: 00007ffe6eff13c0 R14: 00007fe20ad45000 R15: 0000559a120b6d58
   </TASK>
  ---[ end trace 0000000000000000 ]---
  BTRFS: error (device vdc: state A) in create_pending_snapshot:1875: errno=-2 No such entry
  BTRFS info (device vdc: state EA): forced readonly
  BTRFS warning (device vdc: state EA): Skipping commit of aborted transaction.
  BTRFS: error (device vdc: state EA) in cleanup_transaction:2055: errno=-2 No such entry

This happens because create_pending_snapshot() initializes the new root
item as a copy of the source root item. This includes the refs field,
which is 0 for a deleted subvolume. The call to btrfs_insert_root()
therefore inserts a root with refs == 0. btrfs_get_new_fs_root() then
finds the root and returns -ENOENT if refs == 0, which causes
create_pending_snapshot() to abort.

Fix it by checking the source root's refs before attempting the
snapshot, but after locking subvol_sem to avoid racing with deletion.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-26644 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 5.10.210 with commit 2bdf872bcfe6
	Fixed in 5.15.149 with commit 0877497dc978
	Fixed in 6.1.76 with commit 6e6bca99e8d8
	Fixed in 6.6.15 with commit ec794a752819
	Fixed in 6.7.3 with commit d8680b722f0f
	Fixed in 6.8 with commit 7081929ab257

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-26644
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/btrfs/ioctl.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/2bdf872bcfe629a6202ffd6641615a8ed00e8464
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0877497dc97834728e1b528ddf1e1c484292c29c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6e6bca99e8d88d989a7cde4c064abea552d5219b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ec794a7528199e1be6d47bec03f4755aa75df256
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d8680b722f0ff6d7a01ddacc1844e0d52354d6ff
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/7081929ab2572920e94d70be3d332e5c9f97095a