Subject: CVE-2024-26643: netfilter: nf_tables: mark set as dead when unbinding anonymous set with timeout

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

netfilter: nf_tables: mark set as dead when unbinding anonymous set with timeout

While the rhashtable set gc runs asynchronously, a race allows it to
collect elements from anonymous sets with timeouts while it is being
released from the commit path.

Mingi Cho originally reported this issue in a different path in 6.1.x
with a pipapo set with low timeouts which is not possible upstream since
7395dfacfff6 ("netfilter: nf_tables: use timestamp to check for set
element timeout").

Fix this by setting on the dead flag for anonymous sets to skip async gc
in this case.

According to 08e4c8c5919f ("netfilter: nf_tables: mark newset as dead on
transaction abort"), Florian plans to accelerate abort path by releasing
objects via workqueue, therefore, this sets on the dead flag for abort
path too.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-26643 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.4.262 with commit bbdb3b65aa91 and fixed in 5.4.274 with commit edcf1a3f182e
	Issue introduced in 5.10.198 with commit 448be0774882 and fixed in 5.10.215 with commit e2d45f467096
	Issue introduced in 5.15.134 with commit d19e8bf3ea41 and fixed in 5.15.154 with commit 291cca35818b
	Issue introduced in 6.1.56 with commit ea3eb9f2192e and fixed in 6.1.84 with commit 406b0241d0eb
	Issue introduced in 6.5 with commit 5f68718b34a5 and fixed in 6.6.24 with commit b2d6f9a5b1cf
	Issue introduced in 6.5 with commit 5f68718b34a5 and fixed in 6.7.12 with commit 5224afbc30c3
	Issue introduced in 6.5 with commit 5f68718b34a5 and fixed in 6.8 with commit 552705a3650b
	Issue introduced in 6.4.11 with commit 0624f190b574

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-26643
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/netfilter/nf_tables_api.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d75a589bb92af1abf3b779cfcd1977ca11b27033
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/edcf1a3f182ecf8b6b805f0ce90570ea98c5f6bf
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e2d45f467096e931044f0ab7634499879d851a5c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/291cca35818bd52a407bc37ab45a15816039e363
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/406b0241d0eb598a0b330ab20ae325537d8d8163
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b2d6f9a5b1cf968f1eaa71085ceeb09c2cb276b1
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/5224afbc30c3ca9ba23e752f0f138729b2c48dd8
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/552705a3650bbf46a22b1adedc1b04181490fc36