Subject: CVE-2024-26605: PCI/ASPM: Fix deadlock when enabling ASPM

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

PCI/ASPM: Fix deadlock when enabling ASPM

A last minute revert in 6.7-final introduced a potential deadlock when
enabling ASPM during probe of Qualcomm PCIe controllers as reported by
lockdep:

  ============================================
  WARNING: possible recursive locking detected
  6.7.0 #40 Not tainted
  --------------------------------------------
  kworker/u16:5/90 is trying to acquire lock:
  ffffacfa78ced000 (pci_bus_sem){++++}-{3:3}, at: pcie_aspm_pm_state_change+0x58/0xdc

              but task is already holding lock:
  ffffacfa78ced000 (pci_bus_sem){++++}-{3:3}, at: pci_walk_bus+0x34/0xbc

              other info that might help us debug this:
   Possible unsafe locking scenario:

         CPU0
         ----
    lock(pci_bus_sem);
    lock(pci_bus_sem);

               *** DEADLOCK ***

  Call trace:
   print_deadlock_bug+0x25c/0x348
   __lock_acquire+0x10a4/0x2064
   lock_acquire+0x1e8/0x318
   down_read+0x60/0x184
   pcie_aspm_pm_state_change+0x58/0xdc
   pci_set_full_power_state+0xa8/0x114
   pci_set_power_state+0xc4/0x120
   qcom_pcie_enable_aspm+0x1c/0x3c [pcie_qcom]
   pci_walk_bus+0x64/0xbc
   qcom_pcie_host_post_init_2_7_0+0x28/0x34 [pcie_qcom]

The deadlock can easily be reproduced on machines like the Lenovo ThinkPad
X13s by adding a delay to increase the race window during asynchronous
probe where another thread can take a write lock.

Add a new pci_set_power_state_locked() and associated helper functions that
can be called with the PCI bus semaphore held to avoid taking the read lock
twice.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-26605 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 6.1.72 with commit b9c370b61d73 and fixed in 6.1.88 with commit 0f7908a016c0
	Issue introduced in 6.6.11 with commit 8cc22ba3f77c and fixed in 6.6.29 with commit b0f4478838be
	Issue introduced in 6.7 with commit f93e71aea6c6 and fixed in 6.7.5 with commit ef90508574d7
	Issue introduced in 6.7 with commit f93e71aea6c6 and fixed in 6.8 with commit 1e560864159d
	Issue introduced in 5.15.147 with commit 1f2f662c8bec

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-26605
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/pci/bus.c
	drivers/pci/controller/dwc/pcie-qcom.c
	drivers/pci/pci.c
	drivers/pci/pci.h
	drivers/pci/pcie/aspm.c
	include/linux/pci.h

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0f7908a016c092cfdaa16d785fa5099d867bc1a3
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b0f4478838be1f1d330061201898fef65bf8fd7c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ef90508574d7af48420bdc5f7b9a4f1cdd26bc70
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/1e560864159d002b453da42bd2c13a1805515a20