Subject: CVE-2024-26584: net: tls: handle backlogging of crypto requests

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

net: tls: handle backlogging of crypto requests

Since we're setting the CRYPTO_TFM_REQ_MAY_BACKLOG flag on our
requests to the crypto API, crypto_aead_{encrypt,decrypt} can return
 -EBUSY instead of -EINPROGRESS in valid situations. For example, when
the cryptd queue for AESNI is full (easy to trigger with an
artificially low cryptd.cryptd_max_cpu_qlen), requests will be enqueued
to the backlog but still processed. In that case, the async callback
will also be called twice: first with err == -EINPROGRESS, which it
seems we can just ignore, then with err == 0.

Compared to Sabrina's original patch this version uses the new
tls_*crypt_async_wait() helpers and converts the EBUSY to
EINPROGRESS to avoid having to modify all the error handling
paths. The handling is identical.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2024-26584 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 4.16 with commit a54667f6728c and fixed in 5.15.160 with commit 3ade391adc58
	Issue introduced in 4.16 with commit a54667f6728c and fixed in 6.1.84 with commit cd1bbca03f3c
	Issue introduced in 4.16 with commit a54667f6728c and fixed in 6.6.18 with commit 13eca403876b
	Issue introduced in 4.16 with commit a54667f6728c and fixed in 6.7.6 with commit ab6397f072e5
	Issue introduced in 4.16 with commit a54667f6728c and fixed in 6.8 with commit 859054147318

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2024-26584
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/tls/tls_sw.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/3ade391adc584f17b5570fd205de3ad029090368
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/cd1bbca03f3c1d845ce274c0d0a66de8e5929f72
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/13eca403876bbea3716e82cdfe6f1e6febb38754
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ab6397f072e5097f267abf5cb08a8004e6b17694
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8590541473188741055d27b955db0777569438e3