Subject: CVE-2023-52903: io_uring: lock overflowing for IOPOLL

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

io_uring: lock overflowing for IOPOLL

syzbot reports an issue with overflow filling for IOPOLL:

WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 28 at io_uring/io_uring.c:734 io_cqring_event_overflow+0x1c0/0x230 io_uring/io_uring.c:734
CPU: 0 PID: 28 Comm: kworker/u4:1 Not tainted 6.2.0-rc3-syzkaller-16369-g358a161a6a9e #0
Workqueue: events_unbound io_ring_exit_work
Call trace:
 io_cqring_event_overflow+0x1c0/0x230 io_uring/io_uring.c:734
 io_req_cqe_overflow+0x5c/0x70 io_uring/io_uring.c:773
 io_fill_cqe_req io_uring/io_uring.h:168 [inline]
 io_do_iopoll+0x474/0x62c io_uring/rw.c:1065
 io_iopoll_try_reap_events+0x6c/0x108 io_uring/io_uring.c:1513
 io_uring_try_cancel_requests+0x13c/0x258 io_uring/io_uring.c:3056
 io_ring_exit_work+0xec/0x390 io_uring/io_uring.c:2869
 process_one_work+0x2d8/0x504 kernel/workqueue.c:2289
 worker_thread+0x340/0x610 kernel/workqueue.c:2436
 kthread+0x12c/0x158 kernel/kthread.c:376
 ret_from_fork+0x10/0x20 arch/arm64/kernel/entry.S:863

There is no real problem for normal IOPOLL as flush is also called with
uring_lock taken, but it's getting more complicated for IOPOLL|SQPOLL,
for which __io_cqring_overflow_flush() happens from the CQ waiting path.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2023-52903 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 5.10.165 with commit de77faee2801
	Fixed in 5.15.89 with commit ed4629d1e968
	Fixed in 6.1.7 with commit 7fc3990dad04
	Fixed in 6.2 with commit 544d163d659d

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2023-52903
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	io_uring/rw.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/de77faee280163ff03b7ab64af6c9d779a43d4c4
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ed4629d1e968359fbb91d0a3780b1e86a2c08845
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/7fc3990dad04a677606337ebc61964094d6cb41b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/544d163d659d45a206d8929370d5a2984e546cb7