Subject: CVE-2023-52885: SUNRPC: Fix UAF in svc_tcp_listen_data_ready()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

SUNRPC: Fix UAF in svc_tcp_listen_data_ready()

After the listener svc_sock is freed, and before invoking svc_tcp_accept()
for the established child sock, there is a window that the newsock
retaining a freed listener svc_sock in sk_user_data which cloning from
parent. In the race window, if data is received on the newsock, we will
observe use-after-free report in svc_tcp_listen_data_ready().

Reproduce by two tasks:

1. while :; do rpc.nfsd 0 ; rpc.nfsd; done
2. while :; do echo "" | ncat -4 127.0.0.1 2049 ; done

KASAN report:

  ==================================================================
  BUG: KASAN: slab-use-after-free in svc_tcp_listen_data_ready+0x1cf/0x1f0 [sunrpc]
  Read of size 8 at addr ffff888139d96228 by task nc/102553
  CPU: 7 PID: 102553 Comm: nc Not tainted 6.3.0+ #18
  Hardware name: VMware, Inc. VMware Virtual Platform/440BX Desktop Reference Platform, BIOS 6.00 11/12/2020
  Call Trace:
   <IRQ>
   dump_stack_lvl+0x33/0x50
   print_address_description.constprop.0+0x27/0x310
   print_report+0x3e/0x70
   kasan_report+0xae/0xe0
   svc_tcp_listen_data_ready+0x1cf/0x1f0 [sunrpc]
   tcp_data_queue+0x9f4/0x20e0
   tcp_rcv_established+0x666/0x1f60
   tcp_v4_do_rcv+0x51c/0x850
   tcp_v4_rcv+0x23fc/0x2e80
   ip_protocol_deliver_rcu+0x62/0x300
   ip_local_deliver_finish+0x267/0x350
   ip_local_deliver+0x18b/0x2d0
   ip_rcv+0x2fb/0x370
   __netif_receive_skb_one_core+0x166/0x1b0
   process_backlog+0x24c/0x5e0
   __napi_poll+0xa2/0x500
   net_rx_action+0x854/0xc90
   __do_softirq+0x1bb/0x5de
   do_softirq+0xcb/0x100
   </IRQ>
   <TASK>
   ...
   </TASK>

  Allocated by task 102371:
   kasan_save_stack+0x1e/0x40
   kasan_set_track+0x21/0x30
   __kasan_kmalloc+0x7b/0x90
   svc_setup_socket+0x52/0x4f0 [sunrpc]
   svc_addsock+0x20d/0x400 [sunrpc]
   __write_ports_addfd+0x209/0x390 [nfsd]
   write_ports+0x239/0x2c0 [nfsd]
   nfsctl_transaction_write+0xac/0x110 [nfsd]
   vfs_write+0x1c3/0xae0
   ksys_write+0xed/0x1c0
   do_syscall_64+0x38/0x90
   entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x72/0xdc

  Freed by task 102551:
   kasan_save_stack+0x1e/0x40
   kasan_set_track+0x21/0x30
   kasan_save_free_info+0x2a/0x50
   __kasan_slab_free+0x106/0x190
   __kmem_cache_free+0x133/0x270
   svc_xprt_free+0x1e2/0x350 [sunrpc]
   svc_xprt_destroy_all+0x25a/0x440 [sunrpc]
   nfsd_put+0x125/0x240 [nfsd]
   nfsd_svc+0x2cb/0x3c0 [nfsd]
   write_threads+0x1ac/0x2a0 [nfsd]
   nfsctl_transaction_write+0xac/0x110 [nfsd]
   vfs_write+0x1c3/0xae0
   ksys_write+0xed/0x1c0
   do_syscall_64+0x38/0x90
   entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x72/0xdc

Fix the UAF by simply doing nothing in svc_tcp_listen_data_ready()
if state != TCP_LISTEN, that will avoid dereferencing svsk for all
child socket.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2023-52885 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 4.8 with commit fa9251afc33c and fixed in 4.14.322 with commit c7b8c2d06e43
	Issue introduced in 4.8 with commit fa9251afc33c and fixed in 4.19.291 with commit dfc896c4a75c
	Issue introduced in 4.8 with commit fa9251afc33c and fixed in 5.4.251 with commit 42725e5c1b18
	Issue introduced in 4.8 with commit fa9251afc33c and fixed in 5.10.188 with commit cd5ec3ee52ce
	Issue introduced in 4.8 with commit fa9251afc33c and fixed in 5.15.121 with commit fbf4ace39b2e
	Issue introduced in 4.8 with commit fa9251afc33c and fixed in 6.1.39 with commit ef047411887f
	Issue introduced in 4.8 with commit fa9251afc33c and fixed in 6.4.4 with commit 7e1f98905562
	Issue introduced in 4.8 with commit fa9251afc33c and fixed in 6.5 with commit fc80fc2d4e39

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2023-52885
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/sunrpc/svcsock.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c7b8c2d06e437639694abe76978e915cfb73f428
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/dfc896c4a75cb8cd7cb2dfd9b469cf1e3f004254
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/42725e5c1b181b757ba11d804443922982334d9b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/cd5ec3ee52ce4b7e283cc11facfa420c297c8065
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/fbf4ace39b2e4f3833236afbb2336edbafd75eee
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ef047411887ff0845afd642d6a687819308e1a4e
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/7e1f989055622fd086c5dfb291fc72adf5660b6f
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/fc80fc2d4e39137869da3150ee169b40bf879287