Subject: CVE-2023-52829: wifi: ath12k: fix possible out-of-bound write in ath12k_wmi_ext_hal_reg_caps()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

wifi: ath12k: fix possible out-of-bound write in ath12k_wmi_ext_hal_reg_caps()

reg_cap.phy_id is extracted from WMI event and could be an unexpected value
in case some errors happen. As a result out-of-bound write may occur to
soc->hal_reg_cap. Fix it by validating reg_cap.phy_id before using it.

This is found during code review.

Compile tested only.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2023-52829 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 6.5.13 with commit dfe13eaab043
	Fixed in 6.6.3 with commit 4dd0547e8b45
	Fixed in 6.7 with commit b302dce3d9ed

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2023-52829
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath12k/wmi.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/dfe13eaab043130f90dd3d57c7d88577c04adc97
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/4dd0547e8b45faf6f95373be5436b66cde326c0e
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b302dce3d9edea5b93d1902a541684a967f3c63c