Subject: CVE-2023-52784: bonding: stop the device in bond_setup_by_slave()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

bonding: stop the device in bond_setup_by_slave()

Commit 9eed321cde22 ("net: lapbether: only support ethernet devices")
has been able to keep syzbot away from net/lapb, until today.

In the following splat [1], the issue is that a lapbether device has
been created on a bonding device without members. Then adding a non
ARPHRD_ETHER member forced the bonding master to change its type.

The fix is to make sure we call dev_close() in bond_setup_by_slave()
so that the potential linked lapbether devices (or any other devices
having assumptions on the physical device) are removed.

A similar bug has been addressed in commit 40baec225765
("bonding: fix panic on non-ARPHRD_ETHER enslave failure")

[1]
skbuff: skb_under_panic: text:ffff800089508810 len:44 put:40 head:ffff0000c78e7c00 data:ffff0000c78e7bea tail:0x16 end:0x140 dev:bond0
kernel BUG at net/core/skbuff.c:192 !
Internal error: Oops - BUG: 00000000f2000800 [#1] PREEMPT SMP
Modules linked in:
CPU: 0 PID: 6007 Comm: syz-executor383 Not tainted 6.6.0-rc3-syzkaller-gbf6547d8715b #0
Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 08/04/2023
pstate: 60400005 (nZCv daif +PAN -UAO -TCO -DIT -SSBS BTYPE=--)
pc : skb_panic net/core/skbuff.c:188 [inline]
pc : skb_under_panic+0x13c/0x140 net/core/skbuff.c:202
lr : skb_panic net/core/skbuff.c:188 [inline]
lr : skb_under_panic+0x13c/0x140 net/core/skbuff.c:202
sp : ffff800096a06aa0
x29: ffff800096a06ab0 x28: ffff800096a06ba0 x27: dfff800000000000
x26: ffff0000ce9b9b50 x25: 0000000000000016 x24: ffff0000c78e7bea
x23: ffff0000c78e7c00 x22: 000000000000002c x21: 0000000000000140
x20: 0000000000000028 x19: ffff800089508810 x18: ffff800096a06100
x17: 0000000000000000 x16: ffff80008a629a3c x15: 0000000000000001
x14: 1fffe00036837a32 x13: 0000000000000000 x12: 0000000000000000
x11: 0000000000000201 x10: 0000000000000000 x9 : cb50b496c519aa00
x8 : cb50b496c519aa00 x7 : 0000000000000001 x6 : 0000000000000001
x5 : ffff800096a063b8 x4 : ffff80008e280f80 x3 : ffff8000805ad11c
x2 : 0000000000000001 x1 : 0000000100000201 x0 : 0000000000000086
Call trace:
skb_panic net/core/skbuff.c:188 [inline]
skb_under_panic+0x13c/0x140 net/core/skbuff.c:202
skb_push+0xf0/0x108 net/core/skbuff.c:2446
ip6gre_header+0xbc/0x738 net/ipv6/ip6_gre.c:1384
dev_hard_header include/linux/netdevice.h:3136 [inline]
lapbeth_data_transmit+0x1c4/0x298 drivers/net/wan/lapbether.c:257
lapb_data_transmit+0x8c/0xb0 net/lapb/lapb_iface.c:447
lapb_transmit_buffer+0x178/0x204 net/lapb/lapb_out.c:149
lapb_send_control+0x220/0x320 net/lapb/lapb_subr.c:251
__lapb_disconnect_request+0x9c/0x17c net/lapb/lapb_iface.c:326
lapb_device_event+0x288/0x4e0 net/lapb/lapb_iface.c:492
notifier_call_chain+0x1a4/0x510 kernel/notifier.c:93
raw_notifier_call_chain+0x3c/0x50 kernel/notifier.c:461
call_netdevice_notifiers_info net/core/dev.c:1970 [inline]
call_netdevice_notifiers_extack net/core/dev.c:2008 [inline]
call_netdevice_notifiers net/core/dev.c:2022 [inline]
__dev_close_many+0x1b8/0x3c4 net/core/dev.c:1508
dev_close_many+0x1e0/0x470 net/core/dev.c:1559
dev_close+0x174/0x250 net/core/dev.c:1585
lapbeth_device_event+0x2e4/0x958 drivers/net/wan/lapbether.c:466
notifier_call_chain+0x1a4/0x510 kernel/notifier.c:93
raw_notifier_call_chain+0x3c/0x50 kernel/notifier.c:461
call_netdevice_notifiers_info net/core/dev.c:1970 [inline]
call_netdevice_notifiers_extack net/core/dev.c:2008 [inline]
call_netdevice_notifiers net/core/dev.c:2022 [inline]
__dev_close_many+0x1b8/0x3c4 net/core/dev.c:1508
dev_close_many+0x1e0/0x470 net/core/dev.c:1559
dev_close+0x174/0x250 net/core/dev.c:1585
bond_enslave+0x2298/0x30cc drivers/net/bonding/bond_main.c:2332
bond_do_ioctl+0x268/0xc64 drivers/net/bonding/bond_main.c:4539
dev_ifsioc+0x754/0x9ac
dev_ioctl+0x4d8/0xd34 net/core/dev_ioctl.c:786
sock_do_ioctl+0x1d4/0x2d0 net/socket.c:1217
sock_ioctl+0x4e8/0x834 net/socket.c:1322
vfs_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:51 [inline]
__do_sys_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:871 [inline]
__se_sys_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:857 [inline]
__arm64_sys_ioctl+0x14c/0x1c8 fs/ioctl.c:857
__invoke_syscall arch/arm64/kernel/syscall.c:37 [inline]
invoke_syscall+0x98/0x2b8 arch/arm64/kernel/syscall.c:51
el0_svc_common+0x130/0x23c arch/arm64/kernel/syscall.c:136
do_el0_svc+0x48/0x58 arch/arm64/kernel/syscall.c:155
el0_svc+0x58/0x16c arch/arm64/kernel/entry-common.c:678
el0t_64_sync_handler+0x84/0xfc arch/arm64/kernel/entry-common.c:696
el0t_64_sync+0x190/0x194 arch/arm64/kernel/entry.S:591
Code: aa1803e6 aa1903e7 a90023f5 94785b8b (d4210000)

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2023-52784 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 2.6.24 with commit 872254dd6b1f and fixed in 5.4.262 with commit b4f0e605a508
	Issue introduced in 2.6.24 with commit 872254dd6b1f and fixed in 5.10.202 with commit 396baca6683f
	Issue introduced in 2.6.24 with commit 872254dd6b1f and fixed in 5.15.140 with commit 53064e8239dd
	Issue introduced in 2.6.24 with commit 872254dd6b1f and fixed in 6.1.64 with commit 19554aa901b5
	Issue introduced in 2.6.24 with commit 872254dd6b1f and fixed in 6.5.13 with commit 87c49806a37f
	Issue introduced in 2.6.24 with commit 872254dd6b1f and fixed in 6.6.3 with commit d98c91215a57
	Issue introduced in 2.6.24 with commit 872254dd6b1f and fixed in 6.7 with commit 3cffa2ddc4d3

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2023-52784
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/bonding/bond_main.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b4f0e605a508f6d7cda6df2f03a0c676b778b1fe
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/396baca6683f415b5bc2b380289387bef1406edc
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/53064e8239dd2ecfefc5634e991f1025abc2ee0c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/19554aa901b5833787df4417a05ccdebf351b7f4
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/87c49806a37f88eddde3f537c162fd0c2834170c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d98c91215a5748a0f536e7ccea26027005196859
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/3cffa2ddc4d3fcf70cde361236f5a614f81a09b2