Subject: CVE-2023-52771: cxl/port: Fix delete_endpoint() vs parent unregistration race

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

cxl/port: Fix delete_endpoint() vs parent unregistration race

The CXL subsystem, at cxl_mem ->probe() time, establishes a lineage of
ports (struct cxl_port objects) between an endpoint and the root of a
CXL topology. Each port including the endpoint port is attached to the
cxl_port driver.

Given that setup, it follows that when either any port in that lineage
goes through a cxl_port ->remove() event, or the memdev goes through a
cxl_mem ->remove() event. The hierarchy below the removed port, or the
entire hierarchy if the memdev is removed needs to come down.

The delete_endpoint() callback is careful to check whether it is being
called to tear down the hierarchy, or if it is only being called to
teardown the memdev because an ancestor port is going through
->remove().

That care needs to take the device_lock() of the endpoint's parent.
Which requires 2 bugs to be fixed:

1/ A reference on the parent is needed to prevent use-after-free
   scenarios like this signature:

    BUG: spinlock bad magic on CPU#0, kworker/u56:0/11
    Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (Q35 + ICH9, 2009), BIOS edk2-20230524-3.fc38 05/24/2023
    Workqueue: cxl_port detach_memdev [cxl_core]
    RIP: 0010:spin_bug+0x65/0xa0
    Call Trace:
      do_raw_spin_lock+0x69/0xa0
     __mutex_lock+0x695/0xb80
     delete_endpoint+0xad/0x150 [cxl_core]
     devres_release_all+0xb8/0x110
     device_unbind_cleanup+0xe/0x70
     device_release_driver_internal+0x1d2/0x210
     detach_memdev+0x15/0x20 [cxl_core]
     process_one_work+0x1e3/0x4c0
     worker_thread+0x1dd/0x3d0

2/ In the case of RCH topologies, the parent device that needs to be
   locked is not always @port->dev as returned by cxl_mem_find_port(), use
   endpoint->dev.parent instead.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2023-52771 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.18 with commit 8dd2bc0f8e02 and fixed in 6.5.13 with commit 37179fcc916b
	Issue introduced in 5.18 with commit 8dd2bc0f8e02 and fixed in 6.6.3 with commit 6b2e428e673b
	Issue introduced in 5.18 with commit 8dd2bc0f8e02 and fixed in 6.7 with commit 8d2ad999ca3c

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2023-52771
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/cxl/core/port.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/37179fcc916bce8c3cc7b36d67ef814cce55142b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6b2e428e673b3f55965674a426c40922e91388aa
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8d2ad999ca3c64cb08cf6a58d227b9d9e746d708