Subject: CVE-2023-52761: riscv: VMAP_STACK overflow detection thread-safe

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

riscv: VMAP_STACK overflow detection thread-safe

commit 31da94c25aea ("riscv: add VMAP_STACK overflow detection") added
support for CONFIG_VMAP_STACK. If overflow is detected, CPU switches to
`shadow_stack` temporarily before switching finally to per-cpu
`overflow_stack`.

If two CPUs/harts are racing and end up in over flowing kernel stack, one
or both will end up corrupting each other state because `shadow_stack` is
not per-cpu. This patch optimizes per-cpu overflow stack switch by
directly picking per-cpu `overflow_stack` and gets rid of `shadow_stack`.

Following are the changes in this patch

 - Defines an asm macro to obtain per-cpu symbols in destination
   register.
 - In entry.S, when overflow is detected, per-cpu overflow stack is
   located using per-cpu asm macro. Computing per-cpu symbol requires
   a temporary register. x31 is saved away into CSR_SCRATCH
   (CSR_SCRATCH is anyways zero since we're in kernel).

Please see Links for additional relevant disccussion and alternative
solution.

Tested by `echo EXHAUST_STACK > /sys/kernel/debug/provoke-crash/DIRECT`
Kernel crash log below

 Insufficient stack space to handle exception!/debug/provoke-crash/DIRECT
 Task stack:     [0xff20000010a98000..0xff20000010a9c000]
 Overflow stack: [0xff600001f7d98370..0xff600001f7d99370]
 CPU: 1 PID: 205 Comm: bash Not tainted 6.1.0-rc2-00001-g328a1f96f7b9 #34
 Hardware name: riscv-virtio,qemu (DT)
 epc : __memset+0x60/0xfc
  ra : recursive_loop+0x48/0xc6 [lkdtm]
 epc : ffffffff808de0e4 ra : ffffffff0163a752 sp : ff20000010a97e80
  gp : ffffffff815c0330 tp : ff600000820ea280 t0 : ff20000010a97e88
  t1 : 000000000000002e t2 : 3233206874706564 s0 : ff20000010a982b0
  s1 : 0000000000000012 a0 : ff20000010a97e88 a1 : 0000000000000000
  a2 : 0000000000000400 a3 : ff20000010a98288 a4 : 0000000000000000
  a5 : 0000000000000000 a6 : fffffffffffe43f0 a7 : 00007fffffffffff
  s2 : ff20000010a97e88 s3 : ffffffff01644680 s4 : ff20000010a9be90
  s5 : ff600000842ba6c0 s6 : 00aaaaaac29e42b0 s7 : 00fffffff0aa3684
  s8 : 00aaaaaac2978040 s9 : 0000000000000065 s10: 00ffffff8a7cad10
  s11: 00ffffff8a76a4e0 t3 : ffffffff815dbaf4 t4 : ffffffff815dbaf4
  t5 : ffffffff815dbab8 t6 : ff20000010a9bb48
 status: 0000000200000120 badaddr: ff20000010a97e88 cause: 000000000000000f
 Kernel panic - not syncing: Kernel stack overflow
 CPU: 1 PID: 205 Comm: bash Not tainted 6.1.0-rc2-00001-g328a1f96f7b9 #34
 Hardware name: riscv-virtio,qemu (DT)
 Call Trace:
 [<ffffffff80006754>] dump_backtrace+0x30/0x38
 [<ffffffff808de798>] show_stack+0x40/0x4c
 [<ffffffff808ea2a8>] dump_stack_lvl+0x44/0x5c
 [<ffffffff808ea2d8>] dump_stack+0x18/0x20
 [<ffffffff808dec06>] panic+0x126/0x2fe
 [<ffffffff800065ea>] walk_stackframe+0x0/0xf0
 [<ffffffff0163a752>] recursive_loop+0x48/0xc6 [lkdtm]
 SMP: stopping secondary CPUs
 ---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: Kernel stack overflow ]---

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2023-52761 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 6.5.13 with commit 1493baaf09e3
	Fixed in 6.6.3 with commit eff53aea3855
	Fixed in 6.7 with commit be97d0db5f44

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2023-52761
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	arch/riscv/include/asm/asm-prototypes.h
	arch/riscv/include/asm/asm.h
	arch/riscv/include/asm/thread_info.h
	arch/riscv/kernel/asm-offsets.c
	arch/riscv/kernel/entry.S
	arch/riscv/kernel/traps.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/1493baaf09e3c1899959c8a107cd1207e16d1788
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/eff53aea3855f71992c043cebb1c00988c17ee20
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/be97d0db5f44c0674480cb79ac6f5b0529b84c76