Subject: CVE-2023-52751: smb: client: fix use-after-free in smb2_query_info_compound()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

smb: client: fix use-after-free in smb2_query_info_compound()

The following UAF was triggered when running fstests generic/072 with
KASAN enabled against Windows Server 2022 and mount options
'multichannel,max_channels=2,vers=3.1.1,mfsymlinks,noperm'

  BUG: KASAN: slab-use-after-free in smb2_query_info_compound+0x423/0x6d0 [cifs]
  Read of size 8 at addr ffff888014941048 by task xfs_io/27534

  CPU: 0 PID: 27534 Comm: xfs_io Not tainted 6.6.0-rc7 #1
  Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (Q35 + ICH9, 2009), BIOS
  rel-1.16.2-3-gd478f380-rebuilt.opensuse.org 04/01/2014
  Call Trace:
   dump_stack_lvl+0x4a/0x80
   print_report+0xcf/0x650
   ? srso_alias_return_thunk+0x5/0x7f
   ? srso_alias_return_thunk+0x5/0x7f
   ? __phys_addr+0x46/0x90
   kasan_report+0xda/0x110
   ? smb2_query_info_compound+0x423/0x6d0 [cifs]
   ? smb2_query_info_compound+0x423/0x6d0 [cifs]
   smb2_query_info_compound+0x423/0x6d0 [cifs]
   ? __pfx_smb2_query_info_compound+0x10/0x10 [cifs]
   ? srso_alias_return_thunk+0x5/0x7f
   ? __stack_depot_save+0x39/0x480
   ? kasan_save_stack+0x33/0x60
   ? kasan_set_track+0x25/0x30
   ? ____kasan_slab_free+0x126/0x170
   smb2_queryfs+0xc2/0x2c0 [cifs]
   ? __pfx_smb2_queryfs+0x10/0x10 [cifs]
   ? __pfx___lock_acquire+0x10/0x10
   smb311_queryfs+0x210/0x220 [cifs]
   ? __pfx_smb311_queryfs+0x10/0x10 [cifs]
   ? srso_alias_return_thunk+0x5/0x7f
   ? __lock_acquire+0x480/0x26c0
   ? lock_release+0x1ed/0x640
   ? srso_alias_return_thunk+0x5/0x7f
   ? do_raw_spin_unlock+0x9b/0x100
   cifs_statfs+0x18c/0x4b0 [cifs]
   statfs_by_dentry+0x9b/0xf0
   fd_statfs+0x4e/0xb0
   __do_sys_fstatfs+0x7f/0xe0
   ? __pfx___do_sys_fstatfs+0x10/0x10
   ? srso_alias_return_thunk+0x5/0x7f
   ? lockdep_hardirqs_on_prepare+0x136/0x200
   ? srso_alias_return_thunk+0x5/0x7f
   do_syscall_64+0x3f/0x90
   entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x6e/0xd8

  Allocated by task 27534:
   kasan_save_stack+0x33/0x60
   kasan_set_track+0x25/0x30
   __kasan_kmalloc+0x8f/0xa0
   open_cached_dir+0x71b/0x1240 [cifs]
   smb2_query_info_compound+0x5c3/0x6d0 [cifs]
   smb2_queryfs+0xc2/0x2c0 [cifs]
   smb311_queryfs+0x210/0x220 [cifs]
   cifs_statfs+0x18c/0x4b0 [cifs]
   statfs_by_dentry+0x9b/0xf0
   fd_statfs+0x4e/0xb0
   __do_sys_fstatfs+0x7f/0xe0
   do_syscall_64+0x3f/0x90
   entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x6e/0xd8

  Freed by task 27534:
   kasan_save_stack+0x33/0x60
   kasan_set_track+0x25/0x30
   kasan_save_free_info+0x2b/0x50
   ____kasan_slab_free+0x126/0x170
   slab_free_freelist_hook+0xd0/0x1e0
   __kmem_cache_free+0x9d/0x1b0
   open_cached_dir+0xff5/0x1240 [cifs]
   smb2_query_info_compound+0x5c3/0x6d0 [cifs]
   smb2_queryfs+0xc2/0x2c0 [cifs]

This is a race between open_cached_dir() and cached_dir_lease_break()
where the cache entry for the open directory handle receives a lease
break while creating it.  And before returning from open_cached_dir(),
we put the last reference of the new @cfid because of
!@cfid->has_lease.

Besides the UAF, while running xfstests a lot of missed lease breaks
have been noticed in tests that run several concurrent statfs(2) calls
on those cached fids

  CIFS: VFS: \\w22-root1.gandalf.test No task to wake, unknown frame...
  CIFS: VFS: \\w22-root1.gandalf.test Cmd: 18 Err: 0x0 Flags: 0x1...
  CIFS: VFS: \\w22-root1.gandalf.test smb buf 00000000715bfe83 len 108
  CIFS: VFS: Dump pending requests:
  CIFS: VFS: \\w22-root1.gandalf.test No task to wake, unknown frame...
  CIFS: VFS: \\w22-root1.gandalf.test Cmd: 18 Err: 0x0 Flags: 0x1...
  CIFS: VFS: \\w22-root1.gandalf.test smb buf 000000005aa7316e len 108
  ...

To fix both, in open_cached_dir() ensure that @cfid->has_lease is set
right before sending out compounded request so that any potential
lease break will be get processed by demultiplex thread while we're
still caching @cfid.  And, if open failed for some reason, re-check
@cfid->has_lease to decide whether or not put lease reference.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2023-52751 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 6.5.13 with commit 6db94d08359c
	Fixed in 6.6.3 with commit 93877b9afc29
	Fixed in 6.7 with commit 5c86919455c1

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2023-52751
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/smb/client/cached_dir.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6db94d08359c43f2c8fe372811cdee04564a41b9
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/93877b9afc2994c89362007aac480a7b150f386f
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/5c86919455c1edec99ebd3338ad213b59271a71b