Subject: CVE-2023-52750: arm64: Restrict CPU_BIG_ENDIAN to GNU as or LLVM IAS 15.x or newer

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

arm64: Restrict CPU_BIG_ENDIAN to GNU as or LLVM IAS 15.x or newer

Prior to LLVM 15.0.0, LLVM's integrated assembler would incorrectly
byte-swap NOP when compiling for big-endian, and the resulting series of
bytes happened to match the encoding of FNMADD S21, S30, S0, S0.

This went unnoticed until commit:

  34f66c4c4d5518c1 ("arm64: Use a positive cpucap for FP/SIMD")

Prior to that commit, the kernel would always enable the use of FPSIMD
early in boot when __cpu_setup() initialized CPACR_EL1, and so usage of
FNMADD within the kernel was not detected, but could result in the
corruption of user or kernel FPSIMD state.

After that commit, the instructions happen to trap during boot prior to
FPSIMD being detected and enabled, e.g.

| Unhandled 64-bit el1h sync exception on CPU0, ESR 0x000000001fe00000 -- ASIMD
| CPU: 0 PID: 0 Comm: swapper Not tainted 6.6.0-rc3-00013-g34f66c4c4d55 #1
| Hardware name: linux,dummy-virt (DT)
| pstate: 400000c9 (nZcv daIF -PAN -UAO -TCO -DIT -SSBS BTYPE=--)
| pc : __pi_strcmp+0x1c/0x150
| lr : populate_properties+0xe4/0x254
| sp : ffffd014173d3ad0
| x29: ffffd014173d3af0 x28: fffffbfffddffcb8 x27: 0000000000000000
| x26: 0000000000000058 x25: fffffbfffddfe054 x24: 0000000000000008
| x23: fffffbfffddfe000 x22: fffffbfffddfe000 x21: fffffbfffddfe044
| x20: ffffd014173d3b70 x19: 0000000000000001 x18: 0000000000000005
| x17: 0000000000000010 x16: 0000000000000000 x15: 00000000413e7000
| x14: 0000000000000000 x13: 0000000000001bcc x12: 0000000000000000
| x11: 00000000d00dfeed x10: ffffd414193f2cd0 x9 : 0000000000000000
| x8 : 0101010101010101 x7 : ffffffffffffffc0 x6 : 0000000000000000
| x5 : 0000000000000000 x4 : 0101010101010101 x3 : 000000000000002a
| x2 : 0000000000000001 x1 : ffffd014171f2988 x0 : fffffbfffddffcb8
| Kernel panic - not syncing: Unhandled exception
| CPU: 0 PID: 0 Comm: swapper Not tainted 6.6.0-rc3-00013-g34f66c4c4d55 #1
| Hardware name: linux,dummy-virt (DT)
| Call trace:
|  dump_backtrace+0xec/0x108
|  show_stack+0x18/0x2c
|  dump_stack_lvl+0x50/0x68
|  dump_stack+0x18/0x24
|  panic+0x13c/0x340
|  el1t_64_irq_handler+0x0/0x1c
|  el1_abort+0x0/0x5c
|  el1h_64_sync+0x64/0x68
|  __pi_strcmp+0x1c/0x150
|  unflatten_dt_nodes+0x1e8/0x2d8
|  __unflatten_device_tree+0x5c/0x15c
|  unflatten_device_tree+0x38/0x50
|  setup_arch+0x164/0x1e0
|  start_kernel+0x64/0x38c
|  __primary_switched+0xbc/0xc4

Restrict CONFIG_CPU_BIG_ENDIAN to a known good assembler, which is
either GNU as or LLVM's IAS 15.0.0 and newer, which contains the linked
commit.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2023-52750 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 5.10.202 with commit d08a1e75253b
	Fixed in 5.15.140 with commit 936c9c10efae
	Fixed in 6.1.64 with commit ef0224ee5399
	Fixed in 6.5.13 with commit bd31e534721a
	Fixed in 6.6.3 with commit 69e619d2fd05
	Fixed in 6.7 with commit 146a15b87335

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2023-52750
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	arch/arm64/Kconfig

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d08a1e75253b4e19ae290b1c35349f12cfcebc0a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/936c9c10efaefaf1ab3ef020e1f8aaaaff1ad2f9
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ef0224ee5399ea8a46bc07dc6c6494961ed5fdd2
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/bd31e534721ab95ef237020fe6995c899ffdf21a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/69e619d2fd056fe1f5d0adf01584f2da669e0d28
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/146a15b873353f8ac28dc281c139ff611a3c4848