Subject: CVE-2023-52738: drm/amdgpu/fence: Fix oops due to non-matching drm_sched init/fini

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

drm/amdgpu/fence: Fix oops due to non-matching drm_sched init/fini

Currently amdgpu calls drm_sched_fini() from the fence driver sw fini
routine - such function is expected to be called only after the
respective init function - drm_sched_init() - was executed successfully.

Happens that we faced a driver probe failure in the Steam Deck
recently, and the function drm_sched_fini() was called even without
its counter-part had been previously called, causing the following oops:

amdgpu: probe of 0000:04:00.0 failed with error -110
BUG: kernel NULL pointer dereference, address: 0000000000000090
PGD 0 P4D 0
Oops: 0002 [#1] PREEMPT SMP NOPTI
CPU: 0 PID: 609 Comm: systemd-udevd Not tainted 6.2.0-rc3-gpiccoli #338
Hardware name: Valve Jupiter/Jupiter, BIOS F7A0113 11/04/2022
RIP: 0010:drm_sched_fini+0x84/0xa0 [gpu_sched]
[...]
Call Trace:
 <TASK>
 amdgpu_fence_driver_sw_fini+0xc8/0xd0 [amdgpu]
 amdgpu_device_fini_sw+0x2b/0x3b0 [amdgpu]
 amdgpu_driver_release_kms+0x16/0x30 [amdgpu]
 devm_drm_dev_init_release+0x49/0x70
 [...]

To prevent that, check if the drm_sched was properly initialized for a
given ring before calling its fini counter-part.

Notice ideally we'd use sched.ready for that; such field is set as the latest
thing on drm_sched_init(). But amdgpu seems to "override" the meaning of such
field - in the above oops for example, it was a GFX ring causing the crash, and
the sched.ready field was set to true in the ring init routine, regardless of
the state of the DRM scheduler. Hence, we ended-up using sched.ops as per
Christian's suggestion [0], and also removed the no_scheduler check [1].

[0] https://lore.kernel.org/amd-gfx/[email-masked]/
[1] https://lore.kernel.org/amd-gfx/[email-masked]/

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2023-52738 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.15 with commit 067f44c8b459 and fixed in 5.15.94 with commit 2e557c8ca2c5
	Issue introduced in 5.15 with commit 067f44c8b459 and fixed in 6.1.12 with commit 2bcbbef9cace
	Issue introduced in 5.15 with commit 067f44c8b459 and fixed in 6.2 with commit 5ad7bbf3dba5
	Issue introduced in 5.14.10 with commit 8ba968ae672b

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2023-52738
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/amdgpu_fence.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/2e557c8ca2c585bdef591b8503ba83b85f5d0afd
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/2bcbbef9cace772f5b7128b11401c515982de34b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/5ad7bbf3dba5c4a684338df1f285080f2588b535