Subject: CVE-2023-52705: nilfs2: fix underflow in second superblock position calculations

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

nilfs2: fix underflow in second superblock position calculations

Macro NILFS_SB2_OFFSET_BYTES, which computes the position of the second
superblock, underflows when the argument device size is less than 4096
bytes.  Therefore, when using this macro, it is necessary to check in
advance that the device size is not less than a lower limit, or at least
that underflow does not occur.

The current nilfs2 implementation lacks this check, causing out-of-bound
block access when mounting devices smaller than 4096 bytes:

 I/O error, dev loop0, sector 36028797018963960 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x0
 phys_seg 1 prio class 2
 NILFS (loop0): unable to read secondary superblock (blocksize = 1024)

In addition, when trying to resize the filesystem to a size below 4096
bytes, this underflow occurs in nilfs_resize_fs(), passing a huge number
of segments to nilfs_sufile_resize(), corrupting parameters such as the
number of segments in superblocks.  This causes excessive loop iterations
in nilfs_sufile_resize() during a subsequent resize ioctl, causing
semaphore ns_segctor_sem to block for a long time and hang the writer
thread:

 INFO: task segctord:5067 blocked for more than 143 seconds.
      Not tainted 6.2.0-rc8-syzkaller-00015-gf6feea56f66d #0
 "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
 task:segctord        state:D stack:23456 pid:5067  ppid:2
 flags:0x00004000
 Call Trace:
  <TASK>
  context_switch kernel/sched/core.c:5293 [inline]
  __schedule+0x1409/0x43f0 kernel/sched/core.c:6606
  schedule+0xc3/0x190 kernel/sched/core.c:6682
  rwsem_down_write_slowpath+0xfcf/0x14a0 kernel/locking/rwsem.c:1190
  nilfs_transaction_lock+0x25c/0x4f0 fs/nilfs2/segment.c:357
  nilfs_segctor_thread_construct fs/nilfs2/segment.c:2486 [inline]
  nilfs_segctor_thread+0x52f/0x1140 fs/nilfs2/segment.c:2570
  kthread+0x270/0x300 kernel/kthread.c:376
  ret_from_fork+0x1f/0x30 arch/x86/entry/entry_64.S:308
  </TASK>
 ...
 Call Trace:
  <TASK>
  folio_mark_accessed+0x51c/0xf00 mm/swap.c:515
  __nilfs_get_page_block fs/nilfs2/page.c:42 [inline]
  nilfs_grab_buffer+0x3d3/0x540 fs/nilfs2/page.c:61
  nilfs_mdt_submit_block+0xd7/0x8f0 fs/nilfs2/mdt.c:121
  nilfs_mdt_read_block+0xeb/0x430 fs/nilfs2/mdt.c:176
  nilfs_mdt_get_block+0x12d/0xbb0 fs/nilfs2/mdt.c:251
  nilfs_sufile_get_segment_usage_block fs/nilfs2/sufile.c:92 [inline]
  nilfs_sufile_truncate_range fs/nilfs2/sufile.c:679 [inline]
  nilfs_sufile_resize+0x7a3/0x12b0 fs/nilfs2/sufile.c:777
  nilfs_resize_fs+0x20c/0xed0 fs/nilfs2/super.c:422
  nilfs_ioctl_resize fs/nilfs2/ioctl.c:1033 [inline]
  nilfs_ioctl+0x137c/0x2440 fs/nilfs2/ioctl.c:1301
  ...

This fixes these issues by inserting appropriate minimum device size
checks or anti-underflow checks, depending on where the macro is used.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2023-52705 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 4.14.306 with commit 2f7a1135b202
	Fixed in 4.19.273 with commit b96591e2c35c
	Fixed in 5.4.232 with commit 52844d8382cd
	Fixed in 5.10.169 with commit 0ee5ed0126a2
	Fixed in 5.15.95 with commit a158782b56b0
	Fixed in 6.1.13 with commit a8ef5109f93c
	Fixed in 6.2 with commit 99b9402a36f0

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2023-52705
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/nilfs2/ioctl.c
	fs/nilfs2/super.c
	fs/nilfs2/the_nilfs.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/2f7a1135b202977b82457adde7db6c390056863b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b96591e2c35c8b47db0ec816b5fc6cb8868000ff
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/52844d8382cd9166d708032def8905ffc3ae550f
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0ee5ed0126a2211f7174492da2ca2c29f43755c5
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/a158782b56b070485d54d25fc9aaf2c8f3752205
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/a8ef5109f93cea9933bbac0455d8c18757b3fcb4
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/99b9402a36f0799f25feee4465bfa4b8dfa74b4d