Subject: CVE-2023-52664: net: atlantic: eliminate double free in error handling logic

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

net: atlantic: eliminate double free in error handling logic

Driver has a logic leak in ring data allocation/free,
where aq_ring_free could be called multiple times on same ring,
if system is under stress and got memory allocation error.

Ring pointer was used as an indicator of failure, but this is
not correct since only ring data is allocated/deallocated.
Ring itself is an array member.

Changing ring allocation functions to return error code directly.
This simplifies error handling and eliminates aq_ring_free
on higher layer.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2023-52664 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 6.1.77 with commit 0edb3ae8bfa3
	Fixed in 6.6.16 with commit c11a870a73a3
	Fixed in 6.7.4 with commit d1fde4a7e1dc
	Fixed in 6.8 with commit b3cb7a830a24

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2023-52664
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/ethernet/aquantia/atlantic/aq_ptp.c
	drivers/net/ethernet/aquantia/atlantic/aq_ring.c
	drivers/net/ethernet/aquantia/atlantic/aq_ring.h
	drivers/net/ethernet/aquantia/atlantic/aq_vec.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/0edb3ae8bfa31cd544b0c195bdec00e036002b5d
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c11a870a73a3bc4cc7df6dd877a45b181795fcbf
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d1fde4a7e1dcc4d49cce285107a7a43c3030878d
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b3cb7a830a24527877b0bc900b9bd74a96aea928