Subject: CVE-2023-52632: drm/amdkfd: Fix lock dependency warning with srcu

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

drm/amdkfd: Fix lock dependency warning with srcu

======================================================
WARNING: possible circular locking dependency detected
6.5.0-kfd-yangp #2289 Not tainted
------------------------------------------------------
kworker/0:2/996 is trying to acquire lock:
        (srcu){.+.+}-{0:0}, at: __synchronize_srcu+0x5/0x1a0

but task is already holding lock:
        ((work_completion)(&svms->deferred_list_work)){+.+.}-{0:0}, at:
	process_one_work+0x211/0x560

which lock already depends on the new lock.

the existing dependency chain (in reverse order) is:

-> #3 ((work_completion)(&svms->deferred_list_work)){+.+.}-{0:0}:
        __flush_work+0x88/0x4f0
        svm_range_list_lock_and_flush_work+0x3d/0x110 [amdgpu]
        svm_range_set_attr+0xd6/0x14c0 [amdgpu]
        kfd_ioctl+0x1d1/0x630 [amdgpu]
        __x64_sys_ioctl+0x88/0xc0

-> #2 (&info->lock#2){+.+.}-{3:3}:
        __mutex_lock+0x99/0xc70
        amdgpu_amdkfd_gpuvm_restore_process_bos+0x54/0x740 [amdgpu]
        restore_process_helper+0x22/0x80 [amdgpu]
        restore_process_worker+0x2d/0xa0 [amdgpu]
        process_one_work+0x29b/0x560
        worker_thread+0x3d/0x3d0

-> #1 ((work_completion)(&(&process->restore_work)->work)){+.+.}-{0:0}:
        __flush_work+0x88/0x4f0
        __cancel_work_timer+0x12c/0x1c0
        kfd_process_notifier_release_internal+0x37/0x1f0 [amdgpu]
        __mmu_notifier_release+0xad/0x240
        exit_mmap+0x6a/0x3a0
        mmput+0x6a/0x120
        do_exit+0x322/0xb90
        do_group_exit+0x37/0xa0
        __x64_sys_exit_group+0x18/0x20
        do_syscall_64+0x38/0x80

-> #0 (srcu){.+.+}-{0:0}:
        __lock_acquire+0x1521/0x2510
        lock_sync+0x5f/0x90
        __synchronize_srcu+0x4f/0x1a0
        __mmu_notifier_release+0x128/0x240
        exit_mmap+0x6a/0x3a0
        mmput+0x6a/0x120
        svm_range_deferred_list_work+0x19f/0x350 [amdgpu]
        process_one_work+0x29b/0x560
        worker_thread+0x3d/0x3d0

other info that might help us debug this:
Chain exists of:
  srcu --> &info->lock#2 --> (work_completion)(&svms->deferred_list_work)

Possible unsafe locking scenario:

        CPU0                    CPU1
        ----                    ----
        lock((work_completion)(&svms->deferred_list_work));
                        lock(&info->lock#2);
			lock((work_completion)(&svms->deferred_list_work));
        sync(srcu);

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2023-52632 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 6.1.77 with commit b602f098f716
	Fixed in 6.6.16 with commit 752312f6a794
	Fixed in 6.7.4 with commit 1556c242e64c
	Fixed in 6.8 with commit 2a9de42e8d3c

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2023-52632
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdkfd/kfd_svm.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b602f098f716723fa5c6c96a486e0afba83b7b94
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/752312f6a79440086ac0f9b08d7776870037323c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/1556c242e64cdffe58736aa650b0b395854fe4d4
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/2a9de42e8d3c82c6990d226198602be44f43f340