Subject: CVE-2023-52621: bpf: Check rcu_read_lock_trace_held() before calling bpf map helpers

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

bpf: Check rcu_read_lock_trace_held() before calling bpf map helpers

These three bpf_map_{lookup,update,delete}_elem() helpers are also
available for sleepable bpf program, so add the corresponding lock
assertion for sleepable bpf program, otherwise the following warning
will be reported when a sleepable bpf program manipulates bpf map under
interpreter mode (aka bpf_jit_enable=0):

  WARNING: CPU: 3 PID: 4985 at kernel/bpf/helpers.c:40 ......
  CPU: 3 PID: 4985 Comm: test_progs Not tainted 6.6.0+ #2
  Hardware name: QEMU Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996) ......
  RIP: 0010:bpf_map_lookup_elem+0x54/0x60
  ......
  Call Trace:
   <TASK>
   ? __warn+0xa5/0x240
   ? bpf_map_lookup_elem+0x54/0x60
   ? report_bug+0x1ba/0x1f0
   ? handle_bug+0x40/0x80
   ? exc_invalid_op+0x18/0x50
   ? asm_exc_invalid_op+0x1b/0x20
   ? __pfx_bpf_map_lookup_elem+0x10/0x10
   ? rcu_lockdep_current_cpu_online+0x65/0xb0
   ? rcu_is_watching+0x23/0x50
   ? bpf_map_lookup_elem+0x54/0x60
   ? __pfx_bpf_map_lookup_elem+0x10/0x10
   ___bpf_prog_run+0x513/0x3b70
   __bpf_prog_run32+0x9d/0xd0
   ? __bpf_prog_enter_sleepable_recur+0xad/0x120
   ? __bpf_prog_enter_sleepable_recur+0x3e/0x120
   bpf_trampoline_6442580665+0x4d/0x1000
   __x64_sys_getpgid+0x5/0x30
   ? do_syscall_64+0x36/0xb0
   entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x6e/0x76
   </TASK>

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2023-52621 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 6.1.77 with commit d6d6fe4bb105
	Fixed in 6.6.16 with commit 483cb92334cd
	Fixed in 6.7.4 with commit c7f1b6146f4a
	Fixed in 6.8 with commit 169410eba271

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2023-52621
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	kernel/bpf/helpers.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d6d6fe4bb105595118f12abeed4a7bdd450853f3
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/483cb92334cd7f1d5387dccc0ab5d595d27a669d
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c7f1b6146f4a46d727c0d046284c28b6882c6304
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/169410eba271afc9f0fb476d996795aa26770c6d