Subject: CVE-2023-52582: netfs: Only call folio_start_fscache() one time for each folio

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

netfs: Only call folio_start_fscache() one time for each folio

If a network filesystem using netfs implements a clamp_length()
function, it can set subrequest lengths smaller than a page size.

When we loop through the folios in netfs_rreq_unlock_folios() to
set any folios to be written back, we need to make sure we only
call folio_start_fscache() once for each folio.

Otherwise, this simple testcase:

  mount -o fsc,rsize=1024,wsize=1024 127.0.0.1:/export /mnt/nfs
  dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/nfs/file.bin bs=4096 count=1
  1+0 records in
  1+0 records out
  4096 bytes (4.1 kB, 4.0 KiB) copied, 0.0126359 s, 324 kB/s
  echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
  cat /mnt/nfs/file.bin > /dev/null

will trigger an oops similar to the following:

  page dumped because: VM_BUG_ON_FOLIO(folio_test_private_2(folio))
  ------------[ cut here ]------------
  kernel BUG at include/linux/netfs.h:44!
  ...
  CPU: 5 PID: 134 Comm: kworker/u16:5 Kdump: loaded Not tainted 6.4.0-rc5
  ...
  RIP: 0010:netfs_rreq_unlock_folios+0x68e/0x730 [netfs]
  ...
  Call Trace:
    netfs_rreq_assess+0x497/0x660 [netfs]
    netfs_subreq_terminated+0x32b/0x610 [netfs]
    nfs_netfs_read_completion+0x14e/0x1a0 [nfs]
    nfs_read_completion+0x2f9/0x330 [nfs]
    rpc_free_task+0x72/0xa0 [sunrpc]
    rpc_async_release+0x46/0x70 [sunrpc]
    process_one_work+0x3bd/0x710
    worker_thread+0x89/0x610
    kthread+0x181/0x1c0
    ret_from_fork+0x29/0x50

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2023-52582 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.13 with commit 3d3c95046742 and fixed in 6.1.56 with commit df9950d37df1
	Issue introduced in 5.13 with commit 3d3c95046742 and fixed in 6.5.6 with commit d9f5537479d4
	Issue introduced in 5.13 with commit 3d3c95046742 and fixed in 6.6 with commit df1c357f25d8

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2023-52582
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/netfs/buffered_read.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/df9950d37df113db59495fa09d060754366a2b7c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d9f5537479d4ec97ea92ff24e81a517d5772581a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/df1c357f25d808e30b216188330e708e09e1a412