Subject: CVE-2023-52516: dma-debug: don't call __dma_entry_alloc_check_leak() under free_entries_lock

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

dma-debug: don't call __dma_entry_alloc_check_leak() under free_entries_lock

__dma_entry_alloc_check_leak() calls into printk -> serial console
output (qcom geni) and grabs port->lock under free_entries_lock
spin lock, which is a reverse locking dependency chain as qcom_geni
IRQ handler can call into dma-debug code and grab free_entries_lock
under port->lock.

Move __dma_entry_alloc_check_leak() call out of free_entries_lock
scope so that we don't acquire serial console's port->lock under it.

Trimmed-down lockdep splat:

 The existing dependency chain (in reverse order) is:

               -> #2 (free_entries_lock){-.-.}-{2:2}:
        _raw_spin_lock_irqsave+0x60/0x80
        dma_entry_alloc+0x38/0x110
        debug_dma_map_page+0x60/0xf8
        dma_map_page_attrs+0x1e0/0x230
        dma_map_single_attrs.constprop.0+0x6c/0xc8
        geni_se_rx_dma_prep+0x40/0xcc
        qcom_geni_serial_isr+0x310/0x510
        __handle_irq_event_percpu+0x110/0x244
        handle_irq_event_percpu+0x20/0x54
        handle_irq_event+0x50/0x88
        handle_fasteoi_irq+0xa4/0xcc
        handle_irq_desc+0x28/0x40
        generic_handle_domain_irq+0x24/0x30
        gic_handle_irq+0xc4/0x148
        do_interrupt_handler+0xa4/0xb0
        el1_interrupt+0x34/0x64
        el1h_64_irq_handler+0x18/0x24
        el1h_64_irq+0x64/0x68
        arch_local_irq_enable+0x4/0x8
        ____do_softirq+0x18/0x24
        ...

               -> #1 (&port_lock_key){-.-.}-{2:2}:
        _raw_spin_lock_irqsave+0x60/0x80
        qcom_geni_serial_console_write+0x184/0x1dc
        console_flush_all+0x344/0x454
        console_unlock+0x94/0xf0
        vprintk_emit+0x238/0x24c
        vprintk_default+0x3c/0x48
        vprintk+0xb4/0xbc
        _printk+0x68/0x90
        register_console+0x230/0x38c
        uart_add_one_port+0x338/0x494
        qcom_geni_serial_probe+0x390/0x424
        platform_probe+0x70/0xc0
        really_probe+0x148/0x280
        __driver_probe_device+0xfc/0x114
        driver_probe_device+0x44/0x100
        __device_attach_driver+0x64/0xdc
        bus_for_each_drv+0xb0/0xd8
        __device_attach+0xe4/0x140
        device_initial_probe+0x1c/0x28
        bus_probe_device+0x44/0xb0
        device_add+0x538/0x668
        of_device_add+0x44/0x50
        of_platform_device_create_pdata+0x94/0xc8
        of_platform_bus_create+0x270/0x304
        of_platform_populate+0xac/0xc4
        devm_of_platform_populate+0x60/0xac
        geni_se_probe+0x154/0x160
        platform_probe+0x70/0xc0
        ...

               -> #0 (console_owner){-...}-{0:0}:
        __lock_acquire+0xdf8/0x109c
        lock_acquire+0x234/0x284
        console_flush_all+0x330/0x454
        console_unlock+0x94/0xf0
        vprintk_emit+0x238/0x24c
        vprintk_default+0x3c/0x48
        vprintk+0xb4/0xbc
        _printk+0x68/0x90
        dma_entry_alloc+0xb4/0x110
        debug_dma_map_sg+0xdc/0x2f8
        __dma_map_sg_attrs+0xac/0xe4
        dma_map_sgtable+0x30/0x4c
        get_pages+0x1d4/0x1e4 [msm]
        msm_gem_pin_pages_locked+0x38/0xac [msm]
        msm_gem_pin_vma_locked+0x58/0x88 [msm]
        msm_ioctl_gem_submit+0xde4/0x13ac [msm]
        drm_ioctl_kernel+0xe0/0x15c
        drm_ioctl+0x2e8/0x3f4
        vfs_ioctl+0x30/0x50
        ...

 Chain exists of:
   console_owner --> &port_lock_key --> free_entries_lock

  Possible unsafe locking scenario:

        CPU0                    CPU1
        ----                    ----
   lock(free_entries_lock);
                                lock(&port_lock_key);
                                lock(free_entries_lock);
   lock(console_owner);

                *** DEADLOCK ***

 Call trace:
  dump_backtrace+0xb4/0xf0
  show_stack+0x20/0x30
  dump_stack_lvl+0x60/0x84
  dump_stack+0x18/0x24
  print_circular_bug+0x1cc/0x234
  check_noncircular+0x78/0xac
  __lock_acquire+0xdf8/0x109c
  lock_acquire+0x234/0x284
  console_flush_all+0x330/0x454
  console_unlock+0x94/0xf0
  vprintk_emit+0x238/0x24c
  vprintk_default+0x3c/0x48
  vprintk+0xb4/0xbc
  _printk+0x68/0x90
  dma_entry_alloc+0xb4/0x110
  debug_dma_map_sg+0xdc/0x2f8
  __dma_map_sg_attrs+0xac/0xe4
  dma_map_sgtable+0x30/0x4c
  get_pages+0x1d4/0x1e4 [msm]
  msm_gem_pin_pages_locked+0x38/0xac [msm]
  msm_gem_pin_vma_locked+0x58/0x88 [msm]
  msm_ioctl_gem_submit+0xde4/0x13ac [msm]
  drm_ioctl_kernel+0xe0/0x15c
  drm_ioctl+0x2e8/0x3f4
  vfs_ioctl+0x30/0x50
  ...

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2023-52516 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 5.10.198 with commit c79300599923
	Fixed in 5.15.134 with commit ac0d06809934
	Fixed in 6.1.56 with commit be8f49029eca
	Fixed in 6.5.6 with commit fe2b811a02c3
	Fixed in 6.6 with commit fb5a4315591d

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2023-52516
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	kernel/dma/debug.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c79300599923daaa30f417c75555d5566b3d31ae
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ac0d068099349cbca3d93f2e3b15bb329364b08c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/be8f49029eca3efbad0d74dbff3cb9129994ffab
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/fe2b811a02c3244ebf6059039e4a9e715e26a9e3
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/fb5a4315591dae307a65fc246ca80b5159d296e1