Subject: CVE-2023-52484: iommu/arm-smmu-v3: Fix soft lockup triggered by arm_smmu_mm_invalidate_range

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

iommu/arm-smmu-v3: Fix soft lockup triggered by arm_smmu_mm_invalidate_range

When running an SVA case, the following soft lockup is triggered:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#244 stuck for 26s!
pstate: 83400009 (Nzcv daif +PAN -UAO +TCO +DIT -SSBS BTYPE=--)
pc : arm_smmu_cmdq_issue_cmdlist+0x178/0xa50
lr : arm_smmu_cmdq_issue_cmdlist+0x150/0xa50
sp : ffff8000d83ef290
x29: ffff8000d83ef290 x28: 000000003b9aca00 x27: 0000000000000000
x26: ffff8000d83ef3c0 x25: da86c0812194a0e8 x24: 0000000000000000
x23: 0000000000000040 x22: ffff8000d83ef340 x21: ffff0000c63980c0
x20: 0000000000000001 x19: ffff0000c6398080 x18: 0000000000000000
x17: 0000000000000000 x16: 0000000000000000 x15: ffff3000b4a3bbb0
x14: ffff3000b4a30888 x13: ffff3000b4a3cf60 x12: 0000000000000000
x11: 0000000000000000 x10: 0000000000000000 x9 : ffffc08120e4d6bc
x8 : 0000000000000000 x7 : 0000000000000000 x6 : 0000000000048cfa
x5 : 0000000000000000 x4 : 0000000000000001 x3 : 000000000000000a
x2 : 0000000080000000 x1 : 0000000000000000 x0 : 0000000000000001
Call trace:
 arm_smmu_cmdq_issue_cmdlist+0x178/0xa50
 __arm_smmu_tlb_inv_range+0x118/0x254
 arm_smmu_tlb_inv_range_asid+0x6c/0x130
 arm_smmu_mm_invalidate_range+0xa0/0xa4
 __mmu_notifier_invalidate_range_end+0x88/0x120
 unmap_vmas+0x194/0x1e0
 unmap_region+0xb4/0x144
 do_mas_align_munmap+0x290/0x490
 do_mas_munmap+0xbc/0x124
 __vm_munmap+0xa8/0x19c
 __arm64_sys_munmap+0x28/0x50
 invoke_syscall+0x78/0x11c
 el0_svc_common.constprop.0+0x58/0x1c0
 do_el0_svc+0x34/0x60
 el0_svc+0x2c/0xd4
 el0t_64_sync_handler+0x114/0x140
 el0t_64_sync+0x1a4/0x1a8
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that since 6.6-rc1 the arm_smmu_mm_invalidate_range above is renamed
to "arm_smmu_mm_arch_invalidate_secondary_tlbs", yet the problem remains.

The commit 06ff87bae8d3 ("arm64: mm: remove unused functions and variable
protoypes") fixed a similar lockup on the CPU MMU side. Yet, it can occur
to SMMU too, since arm_smmu_mm_arch_invalidate_secondary_tlbs() is called
typically next to MMU tlb flush function, e.g.
	tlb_flush_mmu_tlbonly {
		tlb_flush {
			__flush_tlb_range {
				// check MAX_TLBI_OPS
			}
		}
		mmu_notifier_arch_invalidate_secondary_tlbs {
			arm_smmu_mm_arch_invalidate_secondary_tlbs {
				// does not check MAX_TLBI_OPS
			}
		}
	}

Clone a CMDQ_MAX_TLBI_OPS from the MAX_TLBI_OPS in tlbflush.h, since in an
SVA case SMMU uses the CPU page table, so it makes sense to align with the
tlbflush code. Then, replace per-page TLBI commands with a single per-asid
TLBI command, if the request size hits this threshold.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2023-52484 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 5.15.134 with commit f5a604757aa8
	Fixed in 6.1.56 with commit f90f4c562003
	Fixed in 6.5.6 with commit 3283a1bce9bb
	Fixed in 6.6 with commit d5afb4b47e13

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2023-52484
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/iommu/arm/arm-smmu-v3/arm-smmu-v3-sva.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f5a604757aa8e37ea9c7011dc9da54fa1b30f29b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f90f4c562003ac3d3b135c5a40a5383313f27264
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/3283a1bce9bbc978059f790b84f3c10c32492429
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d5afb4b47e13161b3f33904d45110f9e6463bad6