Subject: CVE-2023-52477: usb: hub: Guard against accesses to uninitialized BOS descriptors

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

usb: hub: Guard against accesses to uninitialized BOS descriptors

Many functions in drivers/usb/core/hub.c and drivers/usb/core/hub.h
access fields inside udev->bos without checking if it was allocated and
initialized. If usb_get_bos_descriptor() fails for whatever
reason, udev->bos will be NULL and those accesses will result in a
crash:

BUG: kernel NULL pointer dereference, address: 0000000000000018
PGD 0 P4D 0
Oops: 0000 [#1] PREEMPT SMP NOPTI
CPU: 5 PID: 17818 Comm: kworker/5:1 Tainted: G W 5.15.108-18910-gab0e1cb584e1 #1 <HASH:1f9e 1>
Hardware name: Google Kindred/Kindred, BIOS Google_Kindred.12672.413.0 02/03/2021
Workqueue: usb_hub_wq hub_event
RIP: 0010:hub_port_reset+0x193/0x788
Code: 89 f7 e8 20 f7 15 00 48 8b 43 08 80 b8 96 03 00 00 03 75 36 0f b7 88 92 03 00 00 81 f9 10 03 00 00 72 27 48 8b 80 a8 03 00 00 <48> 83 78 18 00 74 19 48 89 df 48 8b 75 b0 ba 02 00 00 00 4c 89 e9
RSP: 0018:ffffab740c53fcf8 EFLAGS: 00010246
RAX: 0000000000000000 RBX: ffffa1bc5f678000 RCX: 0000000000000310
RDX: fffffffffffffdff RSI: 0000000000000286 RDI: ffffa1be9655b840
RBP: ffffab740c53fd70 R08: 00001b7d5edaa20c R09: ffffffffb005e060
R10: 0000000000000001 R11: 0000000000000000 R12: 0000000000000000
R13: ffffab740c53fd3e R14: 0000000000000032 R15: 0000000000000000
FS: 0000000000000000(0000) GS:ffffa1be96540000(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
CS: 0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
CR2: 0000000000000018 CR3: 000000022e80c005 CR4: 00000000003706e0
Call Trace:
hub_event+0x73f/0x156e
? hub_activate+0x5b7/0x68f
process_one_work+0x1a2/0x487
worker_thread+0x11a/0x288
kthread+0x13a/0x152
? process_one_work+0x487/0x487
? kthread_associate_blkcg+0x70/0x70
ret_from_fork+0x1f/0x30

Fall back to a default behavior if the BOS descriptor isn't accessible
and skip all the functionalities that depend on it: LPM support checks,
Super Speed capabilitiy checks, U1/U2 states setup.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2023-52477 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 4.14.328 with commit c64e4dca9aef
	Fixed in 4.19.297 with commit 8e7346bfea56
	Fixed in 5.4.259 with commit 6ad3e9fd3632
	Fixed in 5.10.199 with commit 241f23032433
	Fixed in 5.15.136 with commit 528f0ba9f7a4
	Fixed in 6.1.59 with commit fb9895ab9533
	Fixed in 6.5.8 with commit 136f69a04e71
	Fixed in 6.6 with commit f74a7afc224a

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2023-52477
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/usb/core/hub.c
	drivers/usb/core/hub.h

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c64e4dca9aefd232b17ac4c779b608b286654e81
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8e7346bfea56453e31b7421c1c17ca2fb9ed613d
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6ad3e9fd3632106696692232bf7ff88b9f7e1bc3
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/241f230324337ed5eae3846a554fb6d15169872c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/528f0ba9f7a4bc1b61c9b6eb591ff97ca37cac6b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/fb9895ab9533534335fa83d70344b397ac862c81
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/136f69a04e71ba3458d137aec3bb2ce1232c0289
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f74a7afc224acd5e922c7a2e52244d891bbe44ee