Subject: CVE-2023-52457: serial: 8250: omap: Don't skip resource freeing if pm_runtime_resume_and_get() failed

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

serial: 8250: omap: Don't skip resource freeing if pm_runtime_resume_and_get() failed

Returning an error code from .remove() makes the driver core emit the
little helpful error message:

	remove callback returned a non-zero value. This will be ignored.

and then remove the device anyhow. So all resources that were not freed
are leaked in this case. Skipping serial8250_unregister_port() has the
potential to keep enough of the UART around to trigger a use-after-free.

So replace the error return (and with it the little helpful error
message) by a more useful error message and continue to cleanup.

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2023-52457 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.4.225 with commit 2d66412563ef and fixed in 5.4.268 with commit b502fb43f7fb
	Issue introduced in 5.10.156 with commit d833cba201ad and fixed in 5.10.209 with commit bc57f3ef8a9e
	Issue introduced in 5.15.80 with commit e0db709a58bd and fixed in 5.15.148 with commit 828cd829483f
	Issue introduced in 6.1 with commit e3f0c638f428 and fixed in 6.1.75 with commit d74173bda29a
	Issue introduced in 6.1 with commit e3f0c638f428 and fixed in 6.6.14 with commit 887a558d0298
	Issue introduced in 6.1 with commit e3f0c638f428 and fixed in 6.7.2 with commit 95e4e0031eff
	Issue introduced in 6.1 with commit e3f0c638f428 and fixed in 6.8 with commit ad90d0358bd3
	Issue introduced in 6.0.10 with commit 02eed6390dbe

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2023-52457
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/tty/serial/8250/8250_omap.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b502fb43f7fb55aaf07f6092ab44657595214b93
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/bc57f3ef8a9eb0180606696f586a6dcfaa175ed0
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/828cd829483f0cda920710997aed79130b0af690
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d74173bda29aba58f822175d983d07c8ed335494
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/887a558d0298d36297daea039954c39940228d9b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/95e4e0031effad9837af557ecbfd4294a4d8aeee
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ad90d0358bd3b4554f243a425168fc7cebe7d04e