Subject: CVE-2022-48956: ipv6: avoid use-after-free in ip6_fragment()

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

ipv6: avoid use-after-free in ip6_fragment()

Blamed commit claimed rcu_read_lock() was held by ip6_fragment() callers.

It seems to not be always true, at least for UDP stack.

syzbot reported:

BUG: KASAN: use-after-free in ip6_dst_idev include/net/ip6_fib.h:245 [inline]
BUG: KASAN: use-after-free in ip6_fragment+0x2724/0x2770 net/ipv6/ip6_output.c:951
Read of size 8 at addr ffff88801d403e80 by task syz-executor.3/7618

CPU: 1 PID: 7618 Comm: syz-executor.3 Not tainted 6.1.0-rc6-syzkaller-00012-g4312098baf37 #0
Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 10/26/2022
Call Trace:
 <TASK>
 __dump_stack lib/dump_stack.c:88 [inline]
 dump_stack_lvl+0xd1/0x138 lib/dump_stack.c:106
 print_address_description mm/kasan/report.c:284 [inline]
 print_report+0x15e/0x45d mm/kasan/report.c:395
 kasan_report+0xbf/0x1f0 mm/kasan/report.c:495
 ip6_dst_idev include/net/ip6_fib.h:245 [inline]
 ip6_fragment+0x2724/0x2770 net/ipv6/ip6_output.c:951
 __ip6_finish_output net/ipv6/ip6_output.c:193 [inline]
 ip6_finish_output+0x9a3/0x1170 net/ipv6/ip6_output.c:206
 NF_HOOK_COND include/linux/netfilter.h:291 [inline]
 ip6_output+0x1f1/0x540 net/ipv6/ip6_output.c:227
 dst_output include/net/dst.h:445 [inline]
 ip6_local_out+0xb3/0x1a0 net/ipv6/output_core.c:161
 ip6_send_skb+0xbb/0x340 net/ipv6/ip6_output.c:1966
 udp_v6_send_skb+0x82a/0x18a0 net/ipv6/udp.c:1286
 udp_v6_push_pending_frames+0x140/0x200 net/ipv6/udp.c:1313
 udpv6_sendmsg+0x18da/0x2c80 net/ipv6/udp.c:1606
 inet6_sendmsg+0x9d/0xe0 net/ipv6/af_inet6.c:665
 sock_sendmsg_nosec net/socket.c:714 [inline]
 sock_sendmsg+0xd3/0x120 net/socket.c:734
 sock_write_iter+0x295/0x3d0 net/socket.c:1108
 call_write_iter include/linux/fs.h:2191 [inline]
 new_sync_write fs/read_write.c:491 [inline]
 vfs_write+0x9ed/0xdd0 fs/read_write.c:584
 ksys_write+0x1ec/0x250 fs/read_write.c:637
 do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:50 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0x39/0xb0 arch/x86/entry/common.c:80
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x63/0xcd
RIP: 0033:0x7fde3588c0d9
Code: 28 00 00 00 75 05 48 83 c4 28 c3 e8 f1 19 00 00 90 48 89 f8 48 89 f7 48 89 d6 48 89 ca 4d 89 c2 4d 89 c8 4c 8b 4c 24 08 0f 05 <48> 3d 01 f0 ff ff 73 01 c3 48 c7 c1 b8 ff ff ff f7 d8 64 89 01 48
RSP: 002b:00007fde365b6168 EFLAGS: 00000246 ORIG_RAX: 0000000000000001
RAX: ffffffffffffffda RBX: 00007fde359ac050 RCX: 00007fde3588c0d9
RDX: 000000000000ffdc RSI: 00000000200000c0 RDI: 000000000000000a
RBP: 00007fde358e7ae9 R08: 0000000000000000 R09: 0000000000000000
R10: 0000000000000000 R11: 0000000000000246 R12: 0000000000000000
R13: 00007fde35acfb1f R14: 00007fde365b6300 R15: 0000000000022000
 </TASK>

Allocated by task 7618:
 kasan_save_stack+0x22/0x40 mm/kasan/common.c:45
 kasan_set_track+0x25/0x30 mm/kasan/common.c:52
 __kasan_slab_alloc+0x82/0x90 mm/kasan/common.c:325
 kasan_slab_alloc include/linux/kasan.h:201 [inline]
 slab_post_alloc_hook mm/slab.h:737 [inline]
 slab_alloc_node mm/slub.c:3398 [inline]
 slab_alloc mm/slub.c:3406 [inline]
 __kmem_cache_alloc_lru mm/slub.c:3413 [inline]
 kmem_cache_alloc+0x2b4/0x3d0 mm/slub.c:3422
 dst_alloc+0x14a/0x1f0 net/core/dst.c:92
 ip6_dst_alloc+0x32/0xa0 net/ipv6/route.c:344
 ip6_rt_pcpu_alloc net/ipv6/route.c:1369 [inline]
 rt6_make_pcpu_route net/ipv6/route.c:1417 [inline]
 ip6_pol_route+0x901/0x1190 net/ipv6/route.c:2254
 pol_lookup_func include/net/ip6_fib.h:582 [inline]
 fib6_rule_lookup+0x52e/0x6f0 net/ipv6/fib6_rules.c:121
 ip6_route_output_flags_noref+0x2e6/0x380 net/ipv6/route.c:2625
 ip6_route_output_flags+0x76/0x320 net/ipv6/route.c:2638
 ip6_route_output include/net/ip6_route.h:98 [inline]
 ip6_dst_lookup_tail+0x5ab/0x1620 net/ipv6/ip6_output.c:1092
 ip6_dst_lookup_flow+0x90/0x1d0 net/ipv6/ip6_output.c:1222
 ip6_sk_dst_lookup_flow+0x553/0x980 net/ipv6/ip6_output.c:1260
 udpv6_sendmsg+0x151d/0x2c80 net/ipv6/udp.c:1554
 inet6_sendmsg+0x9d/0xe0 net/ipv6/af_inet6.c:665
 sock_sendmsg_nosec net/socket.c:714 [inline]
 sock_sendmsg+0xd3/0x120 net/socket.c:734
 __sys_sendto+0x23a/0x340 net/socket.c:2117
 __do_sys_sendto net/socket.c:2129 [inline]
 __se_sys_sendto net/socket.c:2125 [inline]
 __x64_sys_sendto+0xe1/0x1b0 net/socket.c:2125
 do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:50 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0x39/0xb0 arch/x86/entry/common.c:80
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x63/0xcd

Freed by task 7599:
 kasan_save_stack+0x22/0x40 mm/kasan/common.c:45
 kasan_set_track+0x25/0x30 mm/kasan/common.c:52
 kasan_save_free_info+0x2e/0x40 mm/kasan/generic.c:511
 ____kasan_slab_free mm/kasan/common.c:236 [inline]
 ____kasan_slab_free+0x160/0x1c0 mm/kasan/common.c:200
 kasan_slab_free include/linux/kasan.h:177 [inline]
 slab_free_hook mm/slub.c:1724 [inline]
 slab_free_freelist_hook+0x8b/0x1c0 mm/slub.c:1750
 slab_free mm/slub.c:3661 [inline]
 kmem_cache_free+0xee/0x5c0 mm/slub.c:3683
 dst_destroy+0x2ea/0x400 net/core/dst.c:127
 rcu_do_batch kernel/rcu/tree.c:2250 [inline]
 rcu_core+0x81f/0x1980 kernel/rcu/tree.c:2510
 __do_softirq+0x1fb/0xadc kernel/softirq.c:571

Last potentially related work creation:
 kasan_save_stack+0x22/0x40 mm/kasan/common.c:45
 __kasan_record_aux_stack+0xbc/0xd0 mm/kasan/generic.c:481
 call_rcu+0x9d/0x820 kernel/rcu/tree.c:2798
 dst_release net/core/dst.c:177 [inline]
 dst_release+0x7d/0xe0 net/core/dst.c:167
 refdst_drop include/net/dst.h:256 [inline]
 skb_dst_drop include/net/dst.h:268 [inline]
 skb_release_head_state+0x250/0x2a0 net/core/skbuff.c:838
 skb_release_all net/core/skbuff.c:852 [inline]
 __kfree_skb net/core/skbuff.c:868 [inline]
 kfree_skb_reason+0x151/0x4b0 net/core/skbuff.c:891
 kfree_skb_list_reason+0x4b/0x70 net/core/skbuff.c:901
 kfree_skb_list include/linux/skbuff.h:1227 [inline]
 ip6_fragment+0x2026/0x2770 net/ipv6/ip6_output.c:949
 __ip6_finish_output net/ipv6/ip6_output.c:193 [inline]
 ip6_finish_output+0x9a3/0x1170 net/ipv6/ip6_output.c:206
 NF_HOOK_COND include/linux/netfilter.h:291 [inline]
 ip6_output+0x1f1/0x540 net/ipv6/ip6_output.c:227
 dst_output include/net/dst.h:445 [inline]
 ip6_local_out+0xb3/0x1a0 net/ipv6/output_core.c:161
 ip6_send_skb+0xbb/0x340 net/ipv6/ip6_output.c:1966
 udp_v6_send_skb+0x82a/0x18a0 net/ipv6/udp.c:1286
 udp_v6_push_pending_frames+0x140/0x200 net/ipv6/udp.c:1313
 udpv6_sendmsg+0x18da/0x2c80 net/ipv6/udp.c:1606
 inet6_sendmsg+0x9d/0xe0 net/ipv6/af_inet6.c:665
 sock_sendmsg_nosec net/socket.c:714 [inline]
 sock_sendmsg+0xd3/0x120 net/socket.c:734
 sock_write_iter+0x295/0x3d0 net/socket.c:1108
 call_write_iter include/linux/fs.h:2191 [inline]
 new_sync_write fs/read_write.c:491 [inline]
 vfs_write+0x9ed/0xdd0 fs/read_write.c:584
 ksys_write+0x1ec/0x250 fs/read_write.c:637
 do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:50 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0x39/0xb0 arch/x86/entry/common.c:80
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x63/0xcd

Second to last potentially related work creation:
 kasan_save_stack+0x22/0x40 mm/kasan/common.c:45
 __kasan_record_aux_stack+0xbc/0xd0 mm/kasan/generic.c:481
 call_rcu+0x9d/0x820 kernel/rcu/tree.c:2798
 dst_release net/core/dst.c:177 [inline]
 dst_release+0x7d/0xe0 net/core/dst.c:167
 refdst_drop include/net/dst.h:256 [inline]
 skb_dst_drop include/net/dst.h:268 [inline]
 __dev_queue_xmit+0x1b9d/0x3ba0 net/core/dev.c:4211
 dev_queue_xmit include/linux/netdevice.h:3008 [inline]
 neigh_resolve_output net/core/neighbour.c:1552 [inline]
 neigh_resolve_output+0x51b/0x840 net/core/neighbour.c:1532
 neigh_output include/net/neighbour.h:546 [inline]
 ip6_finish_output2+0x56c/0x1530 net/ipv6/ip6_output.c:134
 __ip6_finish_output net/ipv6/ip6_output.c:195 [inline]
 ip6_finish_output+0x694/0x1170 net/ipv6/ip6_output.c:206
 NF_HOOK_COND include/linux/netfilter.h:291 [inline]
 ip6_output+0x1f1/0x540 net/ipv6/ip6_output.c:227
 dst_output include/net/dst.h:445 [inline]
 NF_HOOK include/linux/netfilter.h:302 [inline]
 NF_HOOK include/linux/netfilter.h:296 [inline]
 mld_sendpack+0xa09/0xe70 net/ipv6/mcast.c:1820
 mld_send_cr net/ipv6/mcast.c:2121 [inline]
 mld_ifc_work+0x720/0xdc0 net/ipv6/mcast.c:2653
 process_one_work+0x9bf/0x1710 kernel/workqueue.c:2289
 worker_thread+0x669/0x1090 kernel/workqueue.c:2436
 kthread+0x2e8/0x3a0 kernel/kthread.c:376
 ret_from_fork+0x1f/0x30 arch/x86/entry/entry_64.S:306

The buggy address belongs to the object at ffff88801d403dc0
 which belongs to the cache ip6_dst_cache of size 240
The buggy address is located 192 bytes inside of
 240-byte region [ffff88801d403dc0, ffff88801d403eb0)

The buggy address belongs to the physical page:
page:ffffea00007500c0 refcount:1 mapcount:0 mapping:0000000000000000 index:0x0 pfn:0x1d403
memcg:ffff888022f49c81
flags: 0xfff00000000200(slab|node=0|zone=1|lastcpupid=0x7ff)
raw: 00fff00000000200 ffffea0001ef6580 dead000000000002 ffff88814addf640
raw: 0000000000000000 00000000800c000c 00000001ffffffff ffff888022f49c81
page dumped because: kasan: bad access detected
page_owner tracks the page as allocated
page last allocated via order 0, migratetype Unmovable, gfp_mask 0x112a20(GFP_ATOMIC|__GFP_NOWARN|__GFP_NORETRY|__GFP_HARDWALL), pid 3719, tgid 3719 (kworker/0:6), ts 136223432244, free_ts 136222971441
 prep_new_page mm/page_alloc.c:2539 [inline]
 get_page_from_freelist+0x10b5/0x2d50 mm/page_alloc.c:4288
 __alloc_pages+0x1cb/0x5b0 mm/page_alloc.c:5555
 alloc_pages+0x1aa/0x270 mm/mempolicy.c:2285
 alloc_slab_page mm/slub.c:1794 [inline]
 allocate_slab+0x213/0x300 mm/slub.c:1939
 new_slab mm/slub.c:1992 [inline]
 ___slab_alloc+0xa91/0x1400 mm/slub.c:3180
 __slab_alloc.constprop.0+0x56/0xa0 mm/slub.c:3279
 slab_alloc_node mm/slub.c:3364 [inline]
 slab_alloc mm/slub.c:3406 [inline]
 __kmem_cache_alloc_lru mm/slub.c:3413 [inline]
 kmem_cache_alloc+0x31a/0x3d0 mm/slub.c:3422
 dst_alloc+0x14a/0x1f0 net/core/dst.c:92
 ip6_dst_alloc+0x32/0xa0 net/ipv6/route.c:344
 icmp6_dst_alloc+0x71/0x680 net/ipv6/route.c:3261
 mld_sendpack+0x5de/0xe70 net/ipv6/mcast.c:1809
 mld_send_cr net/ipv6/mcast.c:2121 [inline]
 mld_ifc_work+0x720/0xdc0 net/ipv6/mcast.c:2653
 process_one_work+0x9bf/0x1710 kernel/workqueue.c:2289
 worker_thread+0x669/0x1090 kernel/workqueue.c:2436
 kthread+0x2e8/0x3a0 kernel/kthread.c:376
 ret_from_fork+0x1f/0x30 arch/x86/entry/entry_64.S:306
page last free stack trace:
 reset_page_owner include/linux/page_owner.h:24 [inline]
 free_pages_prepare mm/page_alloc.c:1459 [inline]
 free_pcp_prepare+0x65c/0xd90 mm/page_alloc.c:1509
 free_unref_page_prepare mm/page_alloc.c:3387 [inline]
 free_unref_page+0x1d/0x4d0 mm/page_alloc.c:3483
 __unfreeze_partials+0x17c/0x1a0 mm/slub.c:2586
 qlink_free mm/kasan/quarantine.c:168 [inline]
 qlist_free_all+0x6a/0x170 mm/kasan/quarantine.c:187
 kasan_quarantine_reduce+0x184/0x210 mm/kasan/quarantine.c:294
 __kasan_slab_alloc+0x66/0x90 mm/kasan/common.c:302
 kasan_slab_alloc include/linux/kasan.h:201 [inline]
 slab_post_alloc_hook mm/slab.h:737 [inline]
 slab_alloc_node mm/slub.c:3398 [inline]
 kmem_cache_alloc_node+0x304/0x410 mm/slub.c:3443
 __alloc_skb+0x214/0x300 net/core/skbuff.c:497
 alloc_skb include/linux/skbuff.h:1267 [inline]
 netlink_alloc_large_skb net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1191 [inline]
 netlink_sendmsg+0x9a6/0xe10 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1896
 sock_sendmsg_nosec net/socket.c:714 [inline]
 sock_sendmsg+0xd3/0x120 net/socket.c:734
 __sys_sendto+0x23a/0x340 net/socket.c:2117
 __do_sys_sendto net/socket.c:2129 [inline]
 __se_sys_sendto net/socket.c:2125 [inline]
 __x64_sys_sendto+0xe1/0x1b0 net/socket.c:2125
 do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:50 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0x39/0xb0 arch/x86/entry/common.c:80
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x63/0xcd

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2022-48956 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 4.13 with commit 1758fd4688eb and fixed in 4.14.302 with commit b3d7ff8c04a8
	Issue introduced in 4.13 with commit 1758fd4688eb and fixed in 4.19.269 with commit 7e0dcd5f3ade
	Issue introduced in 4.13 with commit 1758fd4688eb and fixed in 5.4.227 with commit 6b6d3be3661b
	Issue introduced in 4.13 with commit 1758fd4688eb and fixed in 5.10.159 with commit 8208d7e56b1e
	Issue introduced in 4.13 with commit 1758fd4688eb and fixed in 5.15.83 with commit 7390c70bd431
	Issue introduced in 4.13 with commit 1758fd4688eb and fixed in 6.0.13 with commit 9b1a468a455d
	Issue introduced in 4.13 with commit 1758fd4688eb and fixed in 6.1 with commit 803e84867de5

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2022-48956
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/ipv6/ip6_output.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b3d7ff8c04a83279fb7641fc4d5aa82a602df7c0
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/7e0dcd5f3ade221a6126278aca60c8ab4cc3bce9
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6b6d3be3661bff2746cab26147bd629aa034e094
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8208d7e56b1e579320b9ff3712739ad2e63e1f86
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/7390c70bd431cbfa6951477e2c80a301643e284b
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/9b1a468a455d8319041528778d0e684a4c062792
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/803e84867de59a1e5d126666d25eb4860cfd2ebe