Subject: CVE-2022-48943: KVM: x86/mmu: make apf token non-zero to fix bug

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

KVM: x86/mmu: make apf token non-zero to fix bug

In current async pagefault logic, when a page is ready, KVM relies on
kvm_arch_can_dequeue_async_page_present() to determine whether to deliver
a READY event to the Guest. This function test token value of struct
kvm_vcpu_pv_apf_data, which must be reset to zero by Guest kernel when a
READY event is finished by Guest. If value is zero meaning that a READY
event is done, so the KVM can deliver another.
But the kvm_arch_setup_async_pf() may produce a valid token with zero
value, which is confused with previous mention and may lead the loss of
this READY event.

This bug may cause task blocked forever in Guest:
 INFO: task stress:7532 blocked for more than 1254 seconds.
       Not tainted 5.10.0 #16
 "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
 task:stress          state:D stack:    0 pid: 7532 ppid:  1409
 flags:0x00000080
 Call Trace:
  __schedule+0x1e7/0x650
  schedule+0x46/0xb0
  kvm_async_pf_task_wait_schedule+0xad/0xe0
  ? exit_to_user_mode_prepare+0x60/0x70
  __kvm_handle_async_pf+0x4f/0xb0
  ? asm_exc_page_fault+0x8/0x30
  exc_page_fault+0x6f/0x110
  ? asm_exc_page_fault+0x8/0x30
  asm_exc_page_fault+0x1e/0x30
 RIP: 0033:0x402d00
 RSP: 002b:00007ffd31912500 EFLAGS: 00010206
 RAX: 0000000000071000 RBX: ffffffffffffffff RCX: 00000000021a32b0
 RDX: 000000000007d011 RSI: 000000000007d000 RDI: 00000000021262b0
 RBP: 00000000021262b0 R08: 0000000000000003 R09: 0000000000000086
 R10: 00000000000000eb R11: 00007fefbdf2baa0 R12: 0000000000000000
 R13: 0000000000000002 R14: 000000000007d000 R15: 0000000000001000

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2022-48943 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 5.10.103 with commit 72fdfc75d421
	Fixed in 5.15.26 with commit 4c3644b6c96c
	Fixed in 5.16.12 with commit 62040f5cd7d9
	Fixed in 5.17 with commit 6f3c1fc53d86

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2022-48943
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	arch/x86/kvm/mmu/mmu.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/72fdfc75d4217b32363cc80def3de2cb3fef3f02
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/4c3644b6c96c5daa5149e5abddc07234eea47c7c
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/62040f5cd7d937de547836e747b6aa8212fec573
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/6f3c1fc53d86d580d8d6d749c4af23705e4f6f79