Subject: CVE-2022-48923: btrfs: prevent copying too big compressed lzo segment

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

btrfs: prevent copying too big compressed lzo segment

Compressed length can be corrupted to be a lot larger than memory
we have allocated for buffer.
This will cause memcpy in copy_compressed_segment to write outside
of allocated memory.

This mostly results in stuck read syscall but sometimes when using
btrfs send can get #GP

  kernel: general protection fault, probably for non-canonical address 0x841551d5c1000: 0000 [#1] PREEMPT SMP NOPTI
  kernel: CPU: 17 PID: 264 Comm: kworker/u256:7 Tainted: P           OE     5.17.0-rc2-1 #12
  kernel: Workqueue: btrfs-endio btrfs_work_helper [btrfs]
  kernel: RIP: 0010:lzo_decompress_bio (./include/linux/fortify-string.h:225 fs/btrfs/lzo.c:322 fs/btrfs/lzo.c:394) btrfs
  Code starting with the faulting instruction
  ===========================================
     0:*  48 8b 06                mov    (%rsi),%rax              <-- trapping instruction
     3:   48 8d 79 08             lea    0x8(%rcx),%rdi
     7:   48 83 e7 f8             and    $0xfffffffffffffff8,%rdi
     b:   48 89 01                mov    %rax,(%rcx)
     e:   44 89 f0                mov    %r14d,%eax
    11:   48 8b 54 06 f8          mov    -0x8(%rsi,%rax,1),%rdx
  kernel: RSP: 0018:ffffb110812efd50 EFLAGS: 00010212
  kernel: RAX: 0000000000001000 RBX: 000000009ca264c8 RCX: ffff98996e6d8ff8
  kernel: RDX: 0000000000000064 RSI: 000841551d5c1000 RDI: ffffffff9500435d
  kernel: RBP: ffff989a3be856c0 R08: 0000000000000000 R09: 0000000000000000
  kernel: R10: 0000000000000000 R11: 0000000000001000 R12: ffff98996e6d8000
  kernel: R13: 0000000000000008 R14: 0000000000001000 R15: 000841551d5c1000
  kernel: FS:  0000000000000000(0000) GS:ffff98a09d640000(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
  kernel: CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
  kernel: CR2: 00001e9f984d9ea8 CR3: 000000014971a000 CR4: 00000000003506e0
  kernel: Call Trace:
  kernel:  <TASK>
  kernel: end_compressed_bio_read (fs/btrfs/compression.c:104 fs/btrfs/compression.c:1363 fs/btrfs/compression.c:323) btrfs
  kernel: end_workqueue_fn (fs/btrfs/disk-io.c:1923) btrfs
  kernel: btrfs_work_helper (fs/btrfs/async-thread.c:326) btrfs
  kernel: process_one_work (./arch/x86/include/asm/jump_label.h:27 ./include/linux/jump_label.h:212 ./include/trace/events/workqueue.h:108 kernel/workqueue.c:2312)
  kernel: worker_thread (./include/linux/list.h:292 kernel/workqueue.c:2455)
  kernel: ? process_one_work (kernel/workqueue.c:2397)
  kernel: kthread (kernel/kthread.c:377)
  kernel: ? kthread_complete_and_exit (kernel/kthread.c:332)
  kernel: ret_from_fork (arch/x86/entry/entry_64.S:301)
  kernel:  </TASK>

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2022-48923 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Fixed in 5.15.26 with commit 8df508b7a44c
	Fixed in 5.16.12 with commit e326bd06cdde
	Fixed in 5.17 with commit 741b23a970a7

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2022-48923
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	fs/btrfs/lzo.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/8df508b7a44cd8110c726057cd28e8f8116885eb
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e326bd06cdde46df952361456232022298281d16
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/741b23a970a79d5d3a1db2d64fa2c7b375a4febb