Subject: CVE-2022-48914: xen/netfront: destroy queues before real_num_tx_queues is zeroed

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

xen/netfront: destroy queues before real_num_tx_queues is zeroed

xennet_destroy_queues() relies on info->netdev->real_num_tx_queues to
delete queues. Since d7dac083414eb5bb99a6d2ed53dc2c1b405224e5
("net-sysfs: update the queue counts in the unregistration path"),
unregister_netdev() indirectly sets real_num_tx_queues to 0. Those two
facts together means, that xennet_destroy_queues() called from
xennet_remove() cannot do its job, because it's called after
unregister_netdev(). This results in kfree-ing queues that are still
linked in napi, which ultimately crashes:

    BUG: kernel NULL pointer dereference, address: 0000000000000000
    #PF: supervisor read access in kernel mode
    #PF: error_code(0x0000) - not-present page
    PGD 0 P4D 0
    Oops: 0000 [#1] PREEMPT SMP PTI
    CPU: 1 PID: 52 Comm: xenwatch Tainted: G        W         5.16.10-1.32.fc32.qubes.x86_64+ #226
    RIP: 0010:free_netdev+0xa3/0x1a0
    Code: ff 48 89 df e8 2e e9 00 00 48 8b 43 50 48 8b 08 48 8d b8 a0 fe ff ff 48 8d a9 a0 fe ff ff 49 39 c4 75 26 eb 47 e8 ed c1 66 ff <48> 8b 85 60 01 00 00 48 8d 95 60 01 00 00 48 89 ef 48 2d 60 01 00
    RSP: 0000:ffffc90000bcfd00 EFLAGS: 00010286
    RAX: 0000000000000000 RBX: ffff88800edad000 RCX: 0000000000000000
    RDX: 0000000000000001 RSI: ffffc90000bcfc30 RDI: 00000000ffffffff
    RBP: fffffffffffffea0 R08: 0000000000000000 R09: 0000000000000000
    R10: 0000000000000000 R11: 0000000000000001 R12: ffff88800edad050
    R13: ffff8880065f8f88 R14: 0000000000000000 R15: ffff8880066c6680
    FS:  0000000000000000(0000) GS:ffff8880f3300000(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
    CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
    CR2: 0000000000000000 CR3: 00000000e998c006 CR4: 00000000003706e0
    Call Trace:
     <TASK>
     xennet_remove+0x13d/0x300 [xen_netfront]
     xenbus_dev_remove+0x6d/0xf0
     __device_release_driver+0x17a/0x240
     device_release_driver+0x24/0x30
     bus_remove_device+0xd8/0x140
     device_del+0x18b/0x410
     ? _raw_spin_unlock+0x16/0x30
     ? klist_iter_exit+0x14/0x20
     ? xenbus_dev_request_and_reply+0x80/0x80
     device_unregister+0x13/0x60
     xenbus_dev_changed+0x18e/0x1f0
     xenwatch_thread+0xc0/0x1a0
     ? do_wait_intr_irq+0xa0/0xa0
     kthread+0x16b/0x190
     ? set_kthread_struct+0x40/0x40
     ret_from_fork+0x22/0x30
     </TASK>

Fix this by calling xennet_destroy_queues() from xennet_uninit(),
when real_num_tx_queues is still available. This ensures that queues are
destroyed when real_num_tx_queues is set to 0, regardless of how
unregister_netdev() was called.

Originally reported at
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/7257

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2022-48914 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 4.19.226 with commit 35cad2003b64 and fixed in 4.19.233 with commit 198cdc287769
	Issue introduced in 5.4.174 with commit a5d8e6189b13 and fixed in 5.4.183 with commit b40c91262477
	Issue introduced in 5.10.94 with commit 443133330a5d and fixed in 5.10.104 with commit a1753d5c29a6
	Issue introduced in 5.15.17 with commit 0abd3f9903fa and fixed in 5.15.27 with commit a63eb1e4a2e1
	Issue introduced in 5.16.3 with commit c5eb468cbc1f and fixed in 5.16.13 with commit 47e2f166ed9f

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2022-48914
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/net/xen-netfront.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/198cdc287769c717dafff5887c6125cb7a373bf3
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/b40c912624775a21da32d1105e158db5f6d0554a
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/a1753d5c29a6fb9a8966dcf04cb4f3b71e303ae8
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/a63eb1e4a2e1a191a90217871e67fba42fd39255
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/47e2f166ed9fe17f24561d6315be2228f6a90209
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/dcf4ff7a48e7598e6b10126cc02177abb8ae4f3f