Subject: CVE-2022-48878: Bluetooth: hci_qca: Fix driver shutdown on closed serdev

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

Bluetooth: hci_qca: Fix driver shutdown on closed serdev

The driver shutdown callback (which sends EDL_SOC_RESET to the device
over serdev) should not be invoked when HCI device is not open (e.g. if
hci_dev_open_sync() failed), because the serdev and its TTY are not open
either.  Also skip this step if device is powered off
(qca_power_shutdown()).

The shutdown callback causes use-after-free during system reboot with
Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth:

  Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address
  0072662f67726fd7
  ...
  CPU: 6 PID: 1 Comm: systemd-shutdow Tainted: G        W
  6.1.0-rt5-00325-g8a5f56bcfcca #8
  Hardware name: Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. Robotics RB5 (DT)
  Call trace:
   tty_driver_flush_buffer+0x4/0x30
   serdev_device_write_flush+0x24/0x34
   qca_serdev_shutdown+0x80/0x130 [hci_uart]
   device_shutdown+0x15c/0x260
   kernel_restart+0x48/0xac

KASAN report:

  BUG: KASAN: use-after-free in tty_driver_flush_buffer+0x1c/0x50
  Read of size 8 at addr ffff16270c2e0018 by task systemd-shutdow/1

  CPU: 7 PID: 1 Comm: systemd-shutdow Not tainted
  6.1.0-next-20221220-00014-gb85aaf97fb01-dirty #28
  Hardware name: Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. Robotics RB5 (DT)
  Call trace:
   dump_backtrace.part.0+0xdc/0xf0
   show_stack+0x18/0x30
   dump_stack_lvl+0x68/0x84
   print_report+0x188/0x488
   kasan_report+0xa4/0xf0
   __asan_load8+0x80/0xac
   tty_driver_flush_buffer+0x1c/0x50
   ttyport_write_flush+0x34/0x44
   serdev_device_write_flush+0x48/0x60
   qca_serdev_shutdown+0x124/0x274
   device_shutdown+0x1e8/0x350
   kernel_restart+0x48/0xb0
   __do_sys_reboot+0x244/0x2d0
   __arm64_sys_reboot+0x54/0x70
   invoke_syscall+0x60/0x190
   el0_svc_common.constprop.0+0x7c/0x160
   do_el0_svc+0x44/0xf0
   el0_svc+0x2c/0x6c
   el0t_64_sync_handler+0xbc/0x140
   el0t_64_sync+0x190/0x194

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2022-48878 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.8 with commit 7e7bbddd029b and fixed in 5.10.165 with commit e84ec6e25df9
	Issue introduced in 5.8 with commit 7e7bbddd029b and fixed in 5.15.90 with commit 908d1742b6e6
	Issue introduced in 5.8 with commit 7e7bbddd029b and fixed in 6.1.8 with commit ea3ebda47dd5
	Issue introduced in 5.8 with commit 7e7bbddd029b and fixed in 6.2 with commit 272970be3dab

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2022-48878
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	drivers/bluetooth/hci_qca.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/e84ec6e25df9bb0968599e92eacedaf3a0a5b587
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/908d1742b6e694e84ead5c62e4b7c1bfbb8b46a3
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/ea3ebda47dd56f6e1c62f2e0e1b6e1b0a973e447
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/272970be3dabd24cbe50e393ffee8f04aec3b9a8