Subject: CVE-2022-48644: net/sched: taprio: avoid disabling offload when it was never enabled

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

Description
===========

In the Linux kernel, the following vulnerability has been resolved:

net/sched: taprio: avoid disabling offload when it was never enabled

In an incredibly strange API design decision, qdisc->destroy() gets
called even if qdisc->init() never succeeded, not exclusively since
commit 87b60cfacf9f ("net_sched: fix error recovery at qdisc creation"),
but apparently also earlier (in the case of qdisc_create_dflt()).

The taprio qdisc does not fully acknowledge this when it attempts full
offload, because it starts off with q->flags = TAPRIO_FLAGS_INVALID in
taprio_init(), then it replaces q->flags with TCA_TAPRIO_ATTR_FLAGS
parsed from netlink (in taprio_change(), tail called from taprio_init()).

But in taprio_destroy(), we call taprio_disable_offload(), and this
determines what to do based on FULL_OFFLOAD_IS_ENABLED(q->flags).

But looking at the implementation of FULL_OFFLOAD_IS_ENABLED()
(a bitwise check of bit 1 in q->flags), it is invalid to call this macro
on q->flags when it contains TAPRIO_FLAGS_INVALID, because that is set
to U32_MAX, and therefore FULL_OFFLOAD_IS_ENABLED() will return true on
an invalid set of flags.

As a result, it is possible to crash the kernel if user space forces an
error between setting q->flags = TAPRIO_FLAGS_INVALID, and the calling
of taprio_enable_offload(). This is because drivers do not expect the
offload to be disabled when it was never enabled.

The error that we force here is to attach taprio as a non-root qdisc,
but instead as child of an mqprio root qdisc:

$ tc qdisc add dev swp0 root handle 1: \
	mqprio num_tc 8 map 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 \
	queues 1@0 1@1 1@2 1@3 1@4 1@5 1@6 1@7 hw 0
$ tc qdisc replace dev swp0 parent 1:1 \
	taprio num_tc 8 map 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 \
	queues 1@0 1@1 1@2 1@3 1@4 1@5 1@6 1@7 base-time 0 \
	sched-entry S 0x7f 990000 sched-entry S 0x80 100000 \
	flags 0x0 clockid CLOCK_TAI
Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address fffffffffffffff8
[fffffffffffffff8] pgd=0000000000000000, p4d=0000000000000000
Internal error: Oops: 96000004 [#1] PREEMPT SMP
Call trace:
 taprio_dump+0x27c/0x310
 vsc9959_port_setup_tc+0x1f4/0x460
 felix_port_setup_tc+0x24/0x3c
 dsa_slave_setup_tc+0x54/0x27c
 taprio_disable_offload.isra.0+0x58/0xe0
 taprio_destroy+0x80/0x104
 qdisc_create+0x240/0x470
 tc_modify_qdisc+0x1fc/0x6b0
 rtnetlink_rcv_msg+0x12c/0x390
 netlink_rcv_skb+0x5c/0x130
 rtnetlink_rcv+0x1c/0x2c

Fix this by keeping track of the operations we made, and undo the
offload only if we actually did it.

I've added "bool offloaded" inside a 4 byte hole between "int clockid"
and "atomic64_t picos_per_byte". Now the first cache line looks like
below:

$ pahole -C taprio_sched net/sched/sch_taprio.o
struct taprio_sched {
        struct Qdisc * *           qdiscs;               /*     0     8 */
        struct Qdisc *             root;                 /*     8     8 */
        u32                        flags;                /*    16     4 */
        enum tk_offsets            tk_offset;            /*    20     4 */
        int                        clockid;              /*    24     4 */
        bool                       offloaded;            /*    28     1 */

        /* XXX 3 bytes hole, try to pack */

        atomic64_t                 picos_per_byte;       /*    32     0 */

        /* XXX 8 bytes hole, try to pack */

        spinlock_t                 current_entry_lock;   /*    40     0 */

        /* XXX 8 bytes hole, try to pack */

        struct sched_entry *       current_entry;        /*    48     8 */
        struct sched_gate_list *   oper_sched;           /*    56     8 */
        /* --- cacheline 1 boundary (64 bytes) --- */

The Linux kernel CVE team has assigned CVE-2022-48644 to this issue.

Affected and fixed versions
===========================

	Issue introduced in 5.4 with commit 9c66d1564676 and fixed in 5.4.215 with commit d12a1eb07003
	Issue introduced in 5.4 with commit 9c66d1564676 and fixed in 5.10.146 with commit 586def6ebed1
	Issue introduced in 5.4 with commit 9c66d1564676 and fixed in 5.15.71 with commit f58e43184226
	Issue introduced in 5.4 with commit 9c66d1564676 and fixed in 5.19.12 with commit c7c9c7eb305a
	Issue introduced in 5.4 with commit 9c66d1564676 and fixed in 6.0 with commit db46e3a88a09

Please see https://www.kernel.org for a full list of currently supported
kernel versions by the kernel community.

Unaffected versions might change over time as fixes are backported to
older supported kernel versions.  The official CVE entry at
	https://cve.org/CVERecord/?id=CVE-2022-48644
will be updated if fixes are backported, please check that for the most
up to date information about this issue.

Affected files
==============

The file(s) affected by this issue are:
	net/sched/sch_taprio.c

Mitigation
==========

The Linux kernel CVE team recommends that you update to the latest
stable kernel version for this, and many other bugfixes.  Individual
changes are never tested alone, but rather are part of a larger kernel
release.  Cherry-picking individual commits is not recommended or
supported by the Linux kernel community at all.  If however, updating to
the latest release is impossible, the individual changes to resolve this
issue can be found at these commits:
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/d12a1eb07003e597077329767c6aa86a7e972c76
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/586def6ebed195f3594a4884f7c5334d0e1ad1bb
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/f58e43184226e5e9662088ccf1389e424a3a4cbd
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/c7c9c7eb305ab8b4e93e4e4e1b78d8cfcbc26323
	https://git.kernel.org/stable/c/db46e3a88a09c5cf7e505664d01da7238cd56c92